Digging up old asphalt driveway

/ Digging up old asphalt driveway #1  

SJJIM

Tractor
LS XR4150H, John Deere 420C
Hi all, I want to dig up and remove an old asphalt driveway that is pretty alligatored. I have an XR4150. A new LB3104 backhoe should be arriving shortly. Was thinking I could pry up pieces that. Any thoughts?

/ Digging up old asphalt driveway #2  
Between the FEL and BH, you should be pretty likely to peel it up. Typically you start under it somewhere and it will also into chunks as you go. Note that you should rent a saw and cut anywhere that you want clean edges.

/ Digging up old asphalt driveway #3  
Plenty enough tractor. Asphalt driveways are not typically thick, even if paved over a few times, nothing like concrete anyway. You will probably want some teeth on the cutting edge of your bucket, or something like pallet forks or the like, to assist with prying it up. Good luck and take photos!! We all love photos!!

/ Digging up old asphalt driveway #4  
Shouldn't be a problem with the backhoe, you wont be able to do much with the FEL other then picking up and loading the broken piece's.

/ Digging up old asphalt driveway #5  
Put a fork in it...

/ Digging up old asphalt driveway #6  
Sounds like your good to go (y) thumb on backhoe might come in handy.

/ Digging up old asphalt driveway
Sounds like your good to go (y) thumb on backhoe might come in handy.
Backhoe is coming with a thumb, 9, 12, and 18" buckets. I also have a forklift attachment for the XR.

/ Digging up old asphalt driveway #8  
Asphalt isn’t very strong especially when it’s falling apart anyway. Start at the edge and you can easily dig it up.

/ Digging up old asphalt driveway #9  
Go easy - FELs aren't generally made to do this type of work. People been talking about bending the cross bars and tweaking the SSQA so be careful. I'd use the backhoe and park the dumpster close to the work area as possible. Can move and dump pieces with you FEL with forks.

/ Digging up old asphalt driveway #10  
I like the old fashioned way pry bar blocks and a sledgehammer
Of course dad always said I had more muscle than brains
Makes for a good work out though 🤣🤙🚜