Differential lock pedal

/ Differential lock pedal #1  

Smokeydog

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, M59, M5030DT
The differential lock lever on the Kubota’s are rather simple compared to other tractors or equipment. Coupled with often muddy shoes a little lacking. When needing to engage one is usually preoccupied with competing operations or hazards.

Spent hours thinking about different ways to improve. This first attempt took only minutes and a couple of bucks to make.

One piece 1.5x3x1” rectangle tubing from scrap pile. Didn’t even cut. One piece 9/16” double split shaft collar ($2). M59 the test subject.

Had to grind flats on shaft collar for clearance inside the tubing. Also gives more to weld to. Drilled one hole to access the upper cap screw.

IMG_1784.JPG

IMG_1782.JPG

IMG_1779.JPG

IMG_1780.JPG

The open design hopefully is mud friendly and provides traction. Already easier to find and engage.

Was going to use two shaft collars at ninety degrees. One probably will handle my limited horsepower. Keep it simple. Paint and loctite after beta testing.

/ Differential lock pedal #2  
Very nice and a great idea!

/ Differential lock pedal #3  
Simple, easy, fully functional and cheap! Nice work!

You didn't even have to pay for those overpriced options available on out there.

/ Differential lock pedal #5  
Watched a video about 50 JD mods this morning. One was a diff lock pedal for JDs from (think it was) bolt-on-hooks.

/ Differential lock pedal #6  
I may have to copy that. Thanks for posting.

/ Differential lock pedal #7  
That's a good idea, and a timely posting. I've ruined my diff lock and need to tear into the rear end. I've ben trying to come up with something better, and yours fits the bill perfectly.
What ruined mine was wearing rubber boots, the heel is too soft to hold the lever down properly. I should have known when it kept kicking out as I was using it that I was asking for trouble.

/ Differential lock pedal #8  
The differential lock lever on the Kubota’s are rather simple compared to other tractors or equipment. Coupled with often muddy shoes a little lacking. When needing to engage one is usually preoccupied with competing operations or hazards.

Spent hours thinking about different ways to improve. This first attempt took only minutes and a couple of bucks to make.

One piece 1.5x3x1” rectangle tubing from scrap pile. Didn’t even cut. One piece 9/16” double split shaft collar ($2). M59 the test subject.

Had to grind flats on shaft collar for clearance inside the tubing. Also gives more to weld to. Drilled one hole to access the upper cap screw.

View attachment 688161
View attachment 688162
View attachment 688163
View attachment 688164

The open design hopefully is mud friendly and provides traction. Already easier to find and engage.

Was going to use two shaft collars at ninety degrees. One probably will handle my limited horsepower. Keep it simple. Paint and loctite after beta testing.
That's a good idea, and a timely posting. I've ruined my diff lock and need to tear into the rear end. I've ben trying to come up with something better, and yours fits the bill perfectly.
What ruined mine was wearing rubber boots, the heel is too soft to hold the lever down properly. I should have known when it kept kicking out as I was using it that I was asking for trouble.

/ Differential lock pedal #9  
You should check out : www.specialtyrepairscustommods.com.
Paul Short, in Bay Roberts, Nfld. makes a really nice Kubota diff. lock pedal mod.
I recently bought a new, and much improved design Kubota step from him.
A quality modification, wider and lower step.

Last edited:
   / Differential lock pedal #10  
You should check out : wwwspecialtyrepairscustommods.com.
Paul Short in Bay Roberts, Nfld. makes a really nice Kubota diff. lock pedal mod.
I recently bought a new, and much improved design Kubota step from him.
A quality modification, wider and lower step.
THAT's a good looking mod. I wish I had done something before trashing my rear end... aside from the 4 figure repair job, I can't even go into the woods anymore to pay for the bill.