Oil & Fuel Diesel Fuel

/ Diesel Fuel #1  

poman

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH TC33D
My NH dealer said that the best diesel fuel to use in my TC33D, if I could find a local place to get it, is 'off-road diesel'. Do any of you use off road diesel and what is the difference?

Thanks

Poman

/ Diesel Fuel #2  
I use the on road diesel. It smokes less than the off road. I guess its higher grade. Its alittle more expensive than off road, plus when i got my tractor i asked the guys that work for my village i live in what they use. They said the better grade as it has a faster turn around at the pump seeing how many trucks are getting it and much less chance of water or do do in it. They had a problem useing the other in the village tractors. Might not be the case in your area though.
My 2 cents is all
Larry

/ Diesel Fuel #3  
poman,

Checkout the related topics sections "Oil, Fuel & Lubricants" for an ongoing discussion in this area.

Bottom line: Off road is identical to normal diesel without the added road tax and with an added dye. The off road is ~50% cheaper since it excludes the taxes.The dye is designed to allow law enforcement to catch folks using it in on road vehciles. It is illegal to use off road diesel on road.

I use off road anytime I can legally do so.

fred

/ Diesel Fuel
Thanks for the reference. There is a lot of good information in that string.

Poman

/ Diesel Fuel #5  
He might have a point on the turn around time.

/ Diesel Fuel #6  
I use over the raod diesel from a local truck stop. I know it's fresh and conditioned for winter use. My L3710 burns less than a gallon an hour, and I average less than 20 gallons per month in the summer and less than 10 gpm in the winter, so 2 5 gallon jugs every few weeks is no big deal. I figure I could save $40 - $60/year if I switched to #2 fuel delivered in bulk, but piece of mind is worth $.30/gallon in road tax, (fresh, conditioned and no tank or drum cluttering up my garage).

/ Diesel Fuel #7  
You may be right if you buy from a place that does not do much volume. The place I buy from does a high volume so I doubt that this is an issue for me.
The point I was trying to make is that there is no difference between the quality of the on road and the off road assuming the same storage time.

Fred