Diesel fuel storage tank

/ Diesel fuel storage tank #1  

Guesseral

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana R4944, Ford Jubilee, Ford 621, Ford 841
Well I thought I knew what I wanted to do to have diesel on hand at the house. I was going to get a 30 gallon plastic drum, clean it out, set it on a skid, get a pump, then load it on and off of the truck with my forks as I filled and used the fuel but now I am unsure. After reading posts on TBN and other websites I have gotten really confused. Maybe I read too much but here are the things that have me spinning in circles.

Will I be able to fill a normal drum at the station or does it need to be a DOT approved drum? Are all drums created equal or are some drums not able to hold fuel or chemicals? Will the diesel react to the plastic and create problems with the engine? And here is the big one how the heck do you ground a plastic drum in the bed of your truck on a skid so there isn't static electric charges created as the fuel is pumped in, and does it even matter with diesel vs. gas, and still how do you ground plastic and just what do you have to ground it too?

Well there you have it I have just shown how vulnerable I am to suggestion or I guess you could just call it being stupid! Any comments? Sure there are!

/ Diesel fuel storage tank #2  
I thought about going your route and it turned out to be more trouble than its worth.I'm getting two 5 gallon diesel jugs from TSC and fill them where the big boys go.

/ Diesel fuel storage tank
Yea I have a 5 gallon can and that is what I have been using but it's just such a pain. The tank is elevated behind the seat and below the ROP there just isn't any easy way to get the can up there to fill the tank. I wanted to go to a larger storrage tank with a hose and some kind of pump so it wasn't so darn inconvient! Maybe I am just lazy I don't need anything larger that 30 gallon because the tractor just sips fuel and I may use 2 or three tanks at the most per year but that's a lot of 5 gallon cans!

/ Diesel fuel storage tank #4  
get a 55 gal metal drum.

/ Diesel fuel storage tank #5  
I considered doing the same thing. I priced out a new 55 gallon drum so I wouldn't have to worry about rust or what was in it prior, a pump and a dolly to move the drum around. By the time I was done, I was over $250.00.

I ended up just spending $230.00 for a 30 gallon fuel caddy. It has wheels, a hand crank pump and it has a grounding cable. I lift it up into the truck and go to the gas station to fill it up. I then use my fel to get it out of the truck.

As for the, not being DOT approved for fuel transport on the road. I'm really not worried. There's far worse things happening on the roads.

/ Diesel fuel storage tank
I considered doing the same thing. I priced out a new 55 gallon drum so I wouldn't have to worry about rust or what was in it prior, a pump and a dolly to move the drum around. By the time I was done, I was over $250.00.

I ended up just spending $230.00 for a 30 gallon fuel caddy. It has wheels, a hand crank pump and it has a grounding cable. I lift it up into the truck and go to the gas station to fill it up. I then use my fel to get it out of the truck.

As for the, not being DOT approved for fuel transport on the road. I'm really not worried. There's far worse things happening on the roads.

Yea That is about what I figured it would cost for the set up $250.00 with a 12V electric pump. I have also seen the 20, 25, & 30 gallon fuel caddys and that was also a thought but just how long ago and where did you get a 30 gallon for $230.00 they seem to be a bit more now.

/ Diesel fuel storage tank #7  
Go to the Similar Threads at the bottom of the page. They can give you an idea. Also do search of the forums, a lot of good ideas there.

Personally I'm putting together a air pressure fill system for my Diesel. Existing compressor, a few brass fittings, fuel hose, 30gal. tank. Done.

/ Diesel fuel storage tank #8  
How about a boat winch mounted to the wall, a pulley mounted to the ceiling, & a cable to lift the can. Let that hold the can's weight at the right level while you directed it to pour:

attachment.php

gas can lift.jpg

/ Diesel fuel storage tank #9  
I hauled 3 at a time 55 gallon plastic drums in my truck for years with no problems until I updated to a 275 plastic tank at my house. Never had a issue.

I did not spend no $250 or whatever either. I got the drums for $8 each at the Farm Store (Blue Plastic). The rotary pump cost $20 at Harbor Freight and 10' piece of hose was $10. About $50 for 165 gallons of fuel storage.

Chris

Last edited:
   / Diesel fuel storage tank #10  
I contacted a local dairy farmer and got 3 15-gallon plastic drums for nothing. Had iodine in them. Painted them yellow, bought a tuthill rotary pump on amazon, about 10 feet of plastic hose and away we go. Lots of good ideas out there, just depends on how much fuel you will use.

Good luck