Diesel Exhaust in your Garage/shop: How do you deal with it?

/ Diesel Exhaust in your Garage/shop: How do you deal with it? #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
In the winter we often keep our Kubota in the garage, which is unheated but has some passive solar gain, so it may be cold but not brutally cold. I run some pool hose from the exhaust pipe along the floor and out under the door before cranking. As soon as the engine smooths out nicely I pull the hose and open the door. By this point the exhaust pipe isn't too hot, and doesn't melt the hose/coupling. After only a short warm-up (before operating temp) I gently pull out onto the driveway to finish warming up. That keeps the diesel stink down to tolerable level.

Now with a bigger shop I am not always going to be parked right at a door. I have one piece of equipment with a vertical exhaust stack, I'm trying to think of how to vent that during warm up, maybe out through the top of a side wall. The stack might be 25 feet back from the overhead door. Keeping that machine indoors is going to be great, but not looking forward to stinking up my new shop with diesel fumes.

So what are you guys doing? Do you try to vent to the outside? What do you use as couplers to your pipes/stacks?

/ Diesel Exhaust in your Garage/shop: How do you deal with it?
Also I should mention, if you have seen a modern, well funded Firehouse, they have some nice commercial systems for routing the exhaust from the trucks, but I think some of those systems cost as much as $4000 to $7000, so that's out of the question.

/ Diesel Exhaust in your Garage/shop: How do you deal with it? #3  
I open my big door of my 30x40 ft barn, start it, let it warm up for a couple minutes and use it.

If I'm not mistaken, the fumes are heavier than air and it will take a long time to get them high enough to cause any issues in a large building.

Stinking it up with diesel fumes.... Diesel smells like roses to me...the smell of the gods. :)

I don't think twice about it.

/ Diesel Exhaust in your Garage/shop: How do you deal with it? #4  
Start it, immediately open the door and let it warm up outside.

/ Diesel Exhaust in your Garage/shop: How do you deal with it?
Ha ha. I know what you mean, diesel smells like "something is getting done", but working for long periods in it isn't fun and not really that healthy either.

/ Diesel Exhaust in your Garage/shop: How do you deal with it? #7  
Start it, run it outside, leave the doors open long enough for cross flow ventilation to air it out. I park it away from sending exhaust back inside.

You could ask a Volkswagen engineer for some tips on how to hide diesel exhaust!:laughing:

/ Diesel Exhaust in your Garage/shop: How do you deal with it? #8  
Hiya,

Get a section of rubber exhaust hose and a garage door flap for it. Stuff it over the pipe, out the flap and start the tractor. The rubber hose is rated for automotive exhaust temps so a tractor warming up will be no issues. (I have run cars on a chassis dyno with the rubber hose with no issues)

If you have 2 tractors running at the same time, they have "Y" connectors to put 2 into one.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/att...169928814-garage-exhaust-system-lotus-005.jpg

/ Diesel Exhaust in your Garage/shop: How do you deal with it? #9  
My shop is heated to 45 degrees. Since my shop is insulated and it doesn't get very cold here this doesn't cost very much. I just start the tractor, and drive it outside.

/ Diesel Exhaust in your Garage/shop: How do you deal with it? #10  
When I built my shop, I put a 4 inch pvc pipe down near the door , under the floor and up into my "fan" room where I have a 1hp import dust collector fan blowing out the side wall. I collect exhaust gas thru a 4" flex tubing that I slip over the pipe. The velocity is high enough that the are no temp issues. Wireless key bob and switch for control of fan. I use it to exhaust welding fumes as well. This could be temporary hung from ceiling or on floor. Make up air comes in around my roll up door.