Diesel Biocide seems to be good, but what about this...

/ Diesel Biocide seems to be good, but what about this... #1  

LostInTheWoods

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
So, I own a Kubota BX series and have had frequent issues with what appears to be build up in the fuel tank (algae or bacteria - depends on who you ask) and subsequent fuel-starving behavior. Changing fuel filters and blowing compressed air back through the fuel line will provide temporary relief...maybe 10 minutes, maybe an hour...then symptoms return.

My suspicion is that it needs treatment with a biocide like Bio Kleen. This seems to be several favorable reviews here on TBN.

After that, has anyone had experience with Clear Diesel Fuel & Tank Cleaner, or anything similar? The claim is that, after treating with Bio Kleen, the 'Fuel & Tank Cleaner' which "removes water and slime, disperses fuel contaminants and stabilizes fuel... or for immediate clean-up of equipment or fuel storage tanks".

As it stands, I am definitely going to treat with biocide. Then I was planning to take apart tractor to remove and clean the fuel tank:thumbdown:

Does the Clear Diesel Fuel & Tank Cleaner work well enough to actually provide 'immediate clean-up' of fuel tanks? Or is removing and cleaning the fuel tank unavoidable?

/ Diesel Biocide seems to be good, but what about this... #2  
I would just drop and clean the tank. I know it's easy for me to say, but if you just put that cleaner in, well it all has to come out somewhere, and I wouldn't want to run all that crapola through my pump and injectors.

I'd probably take it to a radiator shop or similar, that is set up to flush and clean tanks.

Toss your current fuel filters when the tank is clean. That way you start off with a clean slate (tank + filter) again.

Then properly treat your new fresh fuel as a regular additive each time you get fuel.

/ Diesel Biocide seems to be good, but what about this... #3  
You're going to need to clean the tank. My little tractor had some in it from the previous owner. I didn't pull the tank but I rigged up a vacuum reservoir to suck as much crud out as I could.

I treat my fuel with Killem biocide and haven't had any problems with my other equipment or the JD since I cleaned it.

I also added a small engine filter on the hose coming out of the tank to provide early warning.

/ Diesel Biocide seems to be good, but what about this... #4  
I use Biobor JF in all of my diesel equipment and Stabil for the gas engines.

/ Diesel Biocide seems to be good, but what about this...
OK, thanks for the replies!

This was one of the questions I already knew the answer to, but was hoping for a 'miracle'. Time to biocide and get the fuel tank out, then keep up with treatments.

/ Diesel Biocide seems to be good, but what about this... #7  
How long or where are you storing your tractor that its growing stuff that bad in the fuel tank ? Curious if there is anything simple I can do to prevent this other than treatment

/ Diesel Biocide seems to be good, but what about this... #8  
I don't know what's involved with pulling your fuel tank, if it is very difficult I would be tempted to add the biocide then run a line to a temporary electric pump with a temporary inline filter and just circulate that fuel back into the tank. You can get a handfull of cheaper inline filters at your favorite discount auto for less then a tractor filter. Once the filters stop getting plugged up reconnect your stock system and use the tractor and fuel.
Also no matter how you clean your system continue to run the biocide for at least a few tanks of fuel.

/ Diesel Biocide seems to be good, but what about this... #9  
How long or where are you storing your tractor that its growing stuff that bad in the fuel tank ? Curious if there is anything simple I can do to prevent this other than treatment

If you keep the water out of your fuel system, you won't have algae problems.