Diesel algae issue ?

/ Diesel algae issue ? #21  
At least you can get biocide. I went looking ( I live in Nova Scotia) a couple of years ago for an algicide as a pre-emptive measure for my tractor as I don't use it a lot therefore it sits and doesn't go thru a lot of fuel. Nada, can't find it in NS, if you find it online it either won't ship or you have to get a second mortgage to buy it.
I know a boater based out of Nova Scotia, and can ask him for a local source, if you need it. He's boating around the UK right now, so answer may be a little slow, but let me know if you still need this and I'll try to get ahold of him.

/ Diesel algae issue ? #22  
Why anyone runs on road ULSD is beyond me.
I'll bite, as I run both red and green. If I happen to be driving conveniently close to a station that carries red, I'll make a special stop for it. But I'm not wasting a half hour of my time and a few dollars in gasoline for my truck, to make a dedicated trip across town, just to avoid paying an extra few dollars for 5-6 gallons of diesel.

If I had a truck-mounted tank of higher volume, and it equated to more dollars per fill, I'd be willing to drive farther to save a few pennies per gallon.

Last edited:
   / Diesel algae issue ? #23  
.......but let me know if you still need this and I'll try to get ahold of him
Sure would be appreciated, I'd rather go the pre-emptive route and prevent it rather that have to get rid of it, proactive rather than reactive so to speak :). As I said, I've only found it available on line and if it does ship, you need a second mortgage to get it...........Mike

/ Diesel algae issue ? #24  
Sure would be appreciated, I'd rather go the pre-emptive route and prevent it rather that have to get rid of it, proactive rather than reactive so to speak :). As I said, I've only found it available on line and if it does ship, you need a second mortgage to get it...........Mike
Cool. I'll reach out to him by email tonight. Will likely be a week before he responds, last I heard he was in the ocean off the coast of the UK doing a boat delivery. But as his home base is Nova Scotia, and he does a lot of commercial boating, he'd know the local source if there is one.

/ Diesel algae issue ? #26  
Today's low sulfur diesel is prone to algae... Any Biocide is ok.
STA-BIL used to make one. Can't find it anymore. Power Safety makes one, BIO KLEEN the ingredients and percentages are identical.Not cheap but you use very little. 1/4oz per 5 gallons

/ Diesel algae issue ? #27  
I have been using biocide for years and I still get gunk growing in my 5 gal plastic tanks. The best way I found to clean them out is with soap and high pressure water. I'm hoping that I will not have to drop the tractor's tank and clean it too.

/ Diesel algae issue ? #29  
Why anyone runs on road ULSD is beyond me. In this state (Michigan), off road red diesel is exempt from road use tax so it's always about 45 cents a gallon less than on road.
First of all, red diesel here is straight #2 with nothing but the dye added to it in the winter. It's NOT winter diesel, pump diesel has everything already added to make it winter diesel. I buy it, and add NOTHING to it, and have NEVER had even one problem with gelling no matter how cold it gets.

Secondly, NO ONE where I live knocks 45 cents off red diesel, even though they say it's "untaxed". They generally stay about 22 cents lower than pump price, so yes, they are screwing the customer.

It's worth it to me to buy pump diesel in the winter and look for the best price. It's $5.089 right now, that's not much more than you paid for red!

SR

/ Diesel algae issue ? #30  
First of all, red diesel here is straight #2 with nothing but the dye added to it in the winter. It's NOT winter diesel, pump diesel has everything already added to make it winter diesel. I buy it, and add NOTHING to it, and have NEVER had even one problem with gelling no matter how cold it gets.

Secondly, NO ONE where I live knocks 45 cents off red diesel, even though they say it's "untaxed". They generally stay about 22 cents lower than pump price, so yes, they are screwing the customer.

It's worth it to me to buy pump diesel in the winter and look for the best price. It's $5.089 right now, that's not much more than you paid for red!

SR
I don't purchase my diesel in small quantities ever. I'm usually buying a couple hundred gallons at a time and I have it delivered and yes, I keep my tractor fuel tanks as full as possible all the time and still add Powerservice Bio Kleen anyway. Full tanks during ambient temp swings like we have here, gets little in tank condensation thus little water and no algae.

been down the algae road before and it cost me almost a grand in replacement parts to fix it.