Diabetes

/ Diabetes #261  
Found at Is Keto Bad for Your Heart?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Medically reviewed by Yasmine S. Ali, MD, MSCI

Table of Contents

The ketogenic, or “keto,” diet is a diet in which energy is obtained primarily from fat, while protein and carbohydrates are limited. The lack of carbohydrates causes the body to go into a state of ketosis, in which energy is derived from the breakdown of fat.

Despite some promising benefits, there are concerns that such high fat intake is not heart healthy. Specifically, fat derived from processed foods and animal products contribute to high cholesterol, which increases the risk of heart attack.

This article discusses the facts and risks of the keto diet.

The keto diet dates back to the 1920s when it was used for treatment of seizure disorder in children. It was also found to be useful in controlling blood sugar in people with diabetes.1

Emphasis of dietary guidelines in the past several decades has been on a low-fat diet, but the continued rise of obesity and diabetes has renewed interest in the keto diet for its role in weight loss and blood sugar management.2

/ Diabetes #262  
This article also is a good overview. It's well written as it points out that some studies are too small, others only are short term, and it notes that genetics appear to certainly play a part. It doesn't make any hard conclusions where they shouldn't be made.

/ Diabetes #263  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Table of Contents

The ketogenic, or “keto,” diet is a diet in which energy is obtained primarily from fat, while protein and carbohydrates are limited. The lack of carbohydrates causes the body to go into a state of ketosis, in which energy is derived from the breakdown of fat.

Despite some promising benefits, there are concerns that such high fat intake is not heart healthy. Specifically, fat derived from processed foods and animal products contribute to high cholesterol, which increases the risk of heart attack.

The keto diet dates back to the 1920s when it was used for treatment of seizure disorder in children. It was also found to be useful in controlling blood sugar in people with diabetes.1

Emphasis of dietary guidelines in the past several decades has been on a low-fat diet, but the continued rise of obesity and diabetes has renewed interest in the keto diet for its role in weight loss and blood sugar management.2
Thanks, From your link:
...However, there are concerns of negative effects on heart health with the ketogenic diet.

Many studies have shown the association of keto diets with increased LDL (bad cholesterol), but this finding is not consistent in all studies. Keto diets that are high in saturated and trans fats seem to be responsible for the increased LDL levels.1

Another study showed higher incidence of atrial fibrillation in people on carbohydrate-restricted diets.

The keto diet has also been associated with increased mortality. This effect was especially true when animal-based fats were substituted for carbohydrates. Substituting plant-based fats for carbohydrates, on the other hand, improved mortality.6

To minimize this risk of heart disease while on a ketogenic diet, it is prudent to minimize processed foods high in saturated and trans fats, and instead choose plant-based foods with higher unsaturated fat content.

Also:

/ Diabetes #264  

Table of Contents

Concerns?

Since there is no data, "concerns" equals presuppositions that themselves are not derived from data but were culturally and perhaps formerly taught that fat is bad.

A high-fat diet derives from the first study done in the late nineteenth century (it's been well over a decade since I read a book that both referenced and detailed the study which admittedly was one physician and one obese man who became thin). The study was reinforced by further studies done in the twenties and thirties in Germany but since they were Nazis, Godwin's Law of Arguments was culturally applied and everybody completely ignored their findings.

Weight loss-wise, a high-fat diet forces the liver to take more time breaking down fats into sugars, thereby limiting blood sugar levels instead of spiking them as carbs do. As a weight loss strategy, a restrictive high-fat diet with intermediate fasting turns us into the Polar Bear or whale that doesn't eat for two or three months. All mammals (we are mammals) are capable of living off of our fat reserves. All hibernating animals live off of their fat reserves and going into ketosis is exactly that. I've yet to meet a person on a high-fat diet whose lipid numbers didn't become healthier and healthier after doing it long term after an initial spike when they first began from the liver trying to burn anything easier than breaking down fat to sugars to fuel the body.

FWIW, there are several very good groups on Facebook (FB) where an army of very long-term high-fat diet (called the way of eating or WOE for short) folks teach others how to reverse their diabetes. The Reversing Diabetes Group on FB is where I suggest people start and there in the Group downloading the Reverse Diabetes Toolkit is the first step.

/ Diabetes #265  
Concerns?

FWIW, there are several very good groups on Facebook (FB) where an army of very long-term high-fat diet (called the way of eating or WOE for short) folks teach others how to reverse their diabetes. The Reversing Diabetes Group on FB is where I suggest people start and there in the Group downloading the Reverse Diabetes Toolkit is the first step.
I don't do Facebook, I look at studies. Preferably long term.

/ Diabetes #266  
No FB for me either but I just ate black olives and avocado in my chicken salad with lettuce, shredded carrots, and shredded cabbage. That's good lunch for you fellow diabetics but it's all gone now :p

/ Diabetes #267  
Here is a great video from Dr Hansen about keto that's quite good. He does not po-po it per say but does adds some good additions to the theory.

/ Diabetes #268  
I don't do Facebook, I look at studies. Preferably long term.

So does everybody else, but since we don't have public houses anymore, places like Facebook Groups make for meaningful areas where people can gather and exchange information and ideas can be shared and rationally discussed.

/ Diabetes #269  
It's the carbs! Cut down your carbohydrate intake and your blood sugar will improve. This is something you can do easily by checking your blood sugar at 1 and 2 hours after a meal. If your blood sugar does not spike a food is ok to eat. If it spikes leave it alone. I dare to say most type 2 diabetics could cut their medications dramatically if they followed a low carbohydrate diet. I do not mean KETO just low carbohydrate intake. Beat Diabetes YouTube channel demonstrates this quite consistently. The data is also starting to lean towards time in range over gauging how well someone's blood sugar is doing by quarterly A1C values. A goal to aim for is keeping your blood sugar greater than 70% of the day between 70-180 trying to minimize time each day above 180. It doesn't hurt either to lose those extra lbs.

If you can afford it and/or your insurance will cover it, a continuous glucose monitor IE Freestyle Libre or Dexcom is a game changer when managing your diabetes.