Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #121  
I installed a standing seam metal roof on my garage. Should the roof be grounded to help prevent issues if a lightning strike happens?
You really want a lightning system, with proper sized cables. You are in an area with pretty good lightning exposure.

All the best,

Peter

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings
Metal roof was installed. I am debating whether or not to install gutters. Some say not to because it will create problems with snow/ice in the winter. Gutters are nice in the summer downpours but can be problematic in winter, especially on a metal roof, as the snow/ice wants to slide off and the gutters create a dam and stop the snow/ice slides.

Roof.jpg
Roof 2.jpg

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #123  
Gutters or not the snow will slide off once sun hits it. We have a 12/12 pitch no gutters, just gravel around base, and it sheds snow fast with a 4' high pile most winters. We have our doors on the gable end so dont need to plow that large pile of snow every storm.

If you do get heavy snow plan on having something inside to clear in front of your doors!

Gutters or not the snow will slide off once sun hits it. We have a 12/12 pitch no gutters, just gravel around base, and it sheds snow fast with a 4' high pile most winters. We have our doors on the gable end so dont need to plow that large pile of snow every storm.

If you do get heavy snow plan on having something inside to clear in front of your doors!
12:12 pitch is a vertical wall :) definitely nothing sticking to that slope. I feel sorry for the roofers who need to go on such sloped roofs

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #125  
Lol no, 12/12 pitch means 12 inch rise for 12 inch run, IE perfect 45°. Steep, yes.

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #126  
If you don't install gutters, make sure that you have enough drainage around the building to get the water away from the building quickly, and that you have a band of gravel/rock that won't spray soil onto your nice building when it rains.

While I prefer no gutters, I try to have at least several feet of overhang to get the roof drainage out and away from the building walls and foundations, along with any necessary subsoil membranes and drainage to keep the water from soaking into the soil along the foundations. With a metal wall it is less of an issue, but I think that proper drainage away from the building is still vital.

All the best,

Peter

Good points. My overhang is about 26" inches on each side. I have good slope on the south end and will get some slope on the north end but have to finish trenching power.

That is true once the snow slides off the south face with the garage doors. It will create a large snow mound that I will have to drive over. I can't plow it since the base is just gravel/sand. With gutters it will keep the slide offs from blocking my garage door entrance. So that's a plus for gutters.

Garage South.jpg

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #129  
That is true once the snow slides off the south face with the garage doors. It will create a large snow mound that I will have to drive over. I can't plow it since the base is just gravel/sand. With gutters it will keep the slide offs from blocking my garage door entrance. So that's a plus for gutters.

View attachment 828538

I realize that it would be one more expense, but I would think about paving the apron/slope into the garage to keep things cleaner, and help dealing with any snow dumps.

All the best,

Peter

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #130  

Gutters won't stop the snow sliding off once 6 or so gets piled up it will shed in one mass with momentum,. I agree with ponytug - pave the area but why can't you plow or move snow from gravel? Yes you will get some stone clean up in spring.