Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings
You’re probably fine with the tapcons you have.
Most openings are framed with the header 2x6 first, then the spring pad sits on top of that.
A couple “toe screws” would attach the bottom of the spring pad to the top of the header.

With the ICF/concrete, it takes a different approach to install. I installed the center that 2x10 center board first since that is the piece that will take the most load with the spring pad. I wanted to anchor that into the concrete wall.

The rest of the 2x6 header area, doesn't really have any loads to it besides the weatherstripping so that can be installed with just screws into the treated door buck.

The vertical 2x6's will carry the tracks and wheels so that I installed into the treated wood buck with screws but also installed a 3/8" Tapcon on top to anchor it into the concrete. That vertical board is very sturdy and screwed down with numerous 3" screws into the wood buck.

Garage Doors Installed. The spring tension is pretty insane going up that 5:12 pitch

Garage Door.jpg

Attachments

• Garage Door 3.jpg
    Garage Door 3.jpg
    712.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Garage Door 2.jpg
    Garage Door 2.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 69
   / Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #113  
Kind of explains why pitch following doors are so pricey, doesn't it?

The doors look great!

All the best, Peter

My 18x8 door is reinforced by 5 metal channels as seen in the photo. Last week we had winds hitting 40-45mph. I noticed the doors would kind of flex in the middle as the winds were blowing. Nothing was damaged but it kind of looked concerning. Door installer claims the doors are rated for 90mph with those channels. He said that most doors only get one or two channels and I have 5 which is why it has the 90mph rating.

I know they are not "hurricane rated" but is it normal for them to flex in high winds like that?

Doors.jpg

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #115  
My 18x8 door is reinforced by 5 metal channels as seen in the photo. Last week we had winds hitting 40-45mph. I noticed the doors would kind of flex in the middle as the winds were blowing. Nothing was damaged but it kind of looked concerning. Door installer claims the doors are rated for 90mph with those channels. He said that most doors only get one or two channels and I have 5 which is why it has the 90mph rating.

I know they are not "hurricane rated" but is it normal for them to flex in high winds like that?

View attachment 826310
18’ doors are gonna “breathe” a bit bud.
The “struts” come in different sizes….3” tall 4” tall etc. I wonder which ones they used?

How well the tracks are attached to the jambs and the track gauge and rollers make the most difference with wind load.

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #116  
Short answer, yes some flex is normal, but how much is ok is a bit difficult to diagnosis from a distance. The horizontal metal rails are basically your "U" channels to resist inward pressure. The heavier they are the more resistance you have.

You can help your doors by not having open windows or doors on the opposite side. i.e. keeping the pressure up inside.

All the best,

Peter

18’ doors are gonna “breathe” a bit bud.
The “struts” come in different sizes….3” tall 4” tall etc. I wonder which ones they used?

How well the tracks are attached to the jambs and the track gauge and rollers make the most difference with wind load.
I measured and the channels are 2.25" tall

There are at least 7 anchor bolts holding each side of the track into the wood trim pieces which are anchored into the concrete wall.

Short answer, yes some flex is normal, but how much is ok is a bit difficult to diagnosis from a distance. The horizontal metal rails are basically your "U" channels to resist inward pressure. The heavier they are the more resistance you have.

You can help your doors by not having open windows or doors on the opposite side. i.e. keeping the pressure up inside.

All the best,

Peter
Interesting you should say that. When I opened the side entry door, the garage doors definitely started to flex more. Then when I closed the side door, the flex was notably less.

So the side door creates more pressure inside? I didn't know that but it does makes sense.

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #119  
Garage doors aren't airtight, but they do flex due to the pressure difference between the outside and the inside of the door. So, if the air leaking by the door gets trapped, even for a little while, it will help raise the pressure inside, and lower the pressure differential across the door. A small pressure difference adds up to a lot of force over a large area door.

All the best,

Peter

I installed a standing seam metal roof on my garage. Should the roof be grounded to help prevent issues if a lightning strike happens?