Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #51  
When they are done power troweling you can start wetting. By that time the surface is cured enough that the water won't bother the finish.

I remember as a kid seeing pours that were covered with burlap and soaked with water. The data experts will say it takes concrete 30 days to fully cure. During that time it needs to "slowly" lose it's internal moisture. "Fast" loss causes cracks.

In your case sunshine will cause the most evaporation at the surface.

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #52  
The goal is to let the concrete chemistry continue to work its magic without letting the concrete dry out. The chemistry requires water. Once it dries out, the party is over.

Is it covered/can it be covered? If not, you need to re-wet it often enough to keep it from drying. If it is covered, just check it and re-wet as needed. Water will get incorporated as the chemistry progresses, so it will need more as time goes on. After today, you can't make it too wet.

All the best,

Peter

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #53  
Good stuff Peter.

In sunny conditions and 70F with a slight breeze it'll be dry in two hours after completely wetting it. I used a fan style lawn sprinkler and let it run all day, turn it off at night. This was on my Son's pour in 80F sunny weather. I started the sprinkler as soon as the crew stopped power troweling. I did that for ten days.

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings
The goal is to let the concrete chemistry continue to work its magic without letting the concrete dry out. The chemistry requires water. Once it dries out, the party is over.

Is it covered/can it be covered? If not, you need to re-wet it often enough to keep it from drying. If it is covered, just check it and re-wet as needed. Water will get incorporated as the chemistry progresses, so it will need more as time goes on. After today, you can't make it too wet.

All the best,

Peter

It is not covered. I can set a lawn sprinkler on it and let it run.

If cold water hits the curing warm slab, can that cause any issues?

Garage Pour2.jpg

Garage Pour.jpg

30 Yards total - 4,500 psi mix - 6" thick slab
$6k in concrete

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #56  
Looks nice!

I don't think that cold water on warm concrete should be an issue. A sprinkler should be fine. I would just check that the corners / edges are staying wet.

For a different perspective, on the last job here, concrete was running closer to twice what you paid.

All the best,

Peter

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #57  
If you got 30yds poured for $6K you did very well!!!

If you got 30yds poured for $6K you did very well!!!

$6k was just the concrete cost. Labor was additional, around $2,500 for the garage labor. That included installing & compacting the AB under the slab, rebar install, pour work, and finish work. Crew of 6.

I didn't want to pay extra for a boom pumper ($1k) but the chute was just long enough to work.

Last edited:
Looks nice!

I don't think that cold water on warm concrete should be an issue. A sprinkler should be fine. I would just check that the corners / edges are staying wet.

For a different perspective, on the last job here, concrete was running closer to twice what you paid.

All the best,

Peter

Thanks!

Running about $200 per yard for delivery of the 4,500 psi. That includes taxes, fees, and delivery.

What are you paying for concrete in your area?