DEF

/ DEF #31  
Somehow, I don't believe any mass produced DEF is made in a lab. Never seen Chinese DEF but then I don't use it anyway, don't ever plan on using it.

/ DEF #32  
I agree with you in part. If you buy lab grade chemicals they cost more than the same chemicals at the hardware store because you are paying for known quality, concentrations, and quantities of the contents.

If you buy DEF made to the ISO 22241 standard by a reputable vendor with a certified lab, then you know what you are getting.

If you buy no-name urea and add it to your tap water then you don't really know what's in there.

That's why I wouldn't buy mystery discount DEF fluid from a Chinese based amazon vendor. Or cough medicine. Or baby formula.

Just about all over the counter medicines and pain relievers are made in China. A lot of processed food is, too.

/ DEF #33  
Just about all over the counter medicines and pain relievers are made in China. A lot of processed food is, too.
Sure, but if it is being sold from a mystery chinese amazon vendor directly from china then no thank you.

/ DEF #35  
From article:

DEF fluids all must meet an international standard and standards from the EPA that measure the purity of this fluid. Only purchase a DEF that meets the ISO 22241 standard. Sometimes, inexpensive bottles of fluid may claim to be DEF-compatible. However, if they don't also meet the ISO 22241 standard, they are not DEF.

The EPA places limits on the amount of impurities, such as zinc or aluminum, that diesel exhaust fluid may contain. Higher-quality DEFs will contain well below the EPA limits for these impurities. Lower-quality DEFs may have impurity levels that are just below or equal to the EPA limits.

Additionally, the EPA requires DEF manufacturers to use the far purer pharmaceutical urea instead of agricultural urea.

/ DEF #37  
Bershire/Hathaway does not own Union Pacific. They own Burlington Northern Santa Fe railway.
Yes, and the BN portion of BNSF has been moving coal and grain in the Dakotas for many years.

I discuss BNSF (HQ about 10 miles from me) with my Econ students as Berkshire is the best example of a conglomerate. They also own 100% of Fruit of the Loom, ACME brick, GEICO, and many others...but only 99% of DQ. 😀

/ DEF #38  
In 2020 Kubota sent coupons to owners of tractors needing DEF for a free amount due to customers using contaminated DEF. My coupons came every quarter, 10 gallons for my M7-171. The DEF light on my new M5-111 comes on at 50% full. I questioned my dealer because it is 25% on my M7. The said that's right, it has been changed to low light on at 50% now because of problems. My manual says that if DEF smells of ammonia, it has deteriorated and you should get fresh. I drain mine before starting a new season. I'm in my 6th season with the M7 and with no problems except the beep when the low DEF light comes on. If it is a heavily sloped field, it can get annoying as the light will go off on a flat, then come on with a beep when I again hit a slope. It is incentive to keep the DEF tank filled.

/ DEF #39  
In 2020 Kubota sent coupons to owners of tractors needing DEF for a free amount due to customers using contaminated DEF. My coupons came every quarter, 10 gallons for my M7-171. The DEF light on my new M5-111 comes on at 50% full. I questioned my dealer because it is 25% on my M7. The said that's right, it has been changed to low light on at 50% now because of problems. My manual says that if DEF smells of ammonia, it has deteriorated and you should get fresh. I drain mine before starting a new season. I'm in my 6th season with the M7 and with no problems except the beep when the low DEF light comes on. If it is a heavily sloped field, it can get annoying as the light will go off on a flat, then come on with a beep when I again hit a slope. It is incentive to keep the DEF tank filled.
Thats right. Fresh DEF has no scent to it. Smells as “neutral” as water.