DEF Use & Problems ?

/ DEF Use & Problems ? #1  

ck27kioti

Tractor
kioti
I'm about to buy a new tractor. Was wanting an LS MT225HE, which is the same as a NH Workmaster 25.

My local dealer has had LS tractors ordered for month's & can't get one.

But, I've found another dealer who has an LS MT235HE in stock, for a good price. BUT, as ya'll know, it has the DEF system. I have never used a tractor with that system.

BUT, I've read only BAD things about it. So, for some of you guys who know, what would be the downside, or the "cons", if you will, of buying the 235, rather than the 225 tractor.

Is having the DEF system going to make me wish I hadn't bought a tractor with it ?

Sorry for the dumb questions. But I'm totally ignorant of this subject.

/ DEF Use & Problems ? #2  
DEF, is, IMO, the least annoying of the after treatment systems for diesel emissions.

IME (which is with construction equipment), DEF mostly works fine. But, it is intolerant of poor maintenance, poor DEF handling, and not being allowed to work.

DEF has a shelf life, especially once it is in the tank. You have to keep it fresh. Use good quality, clean DEF. Frequent start/stops, and idling don’t damage the system, but lack of the system running eventually leads to issues. The dosing is dependent on throttle position and horsepower used, which is simply heat in the exhaust to get the catalyst to run. You need time on the engine with the throttle near full and a load on the engine. That makes a DEF system run and stay working correctly.

/ DEF Use & Problems ? #3  
Drinking DEF with your Ivermectin won't protect you from covid.

/ DEF Use & Problems ? #4  
Drinking DEF with your Ivermectin won't protect you from covid.
:ROFLMAO: I’m running a Ram with DEF and from the reports, I’m lucky my DEF pump still works. They are a 1300 dollar unobtainiumm dealer part (800 aftermarket). So, that may be worth checking with the LS dealer

/ DEF Use & Problems ? #5  
Sure it's not DPF diesel particulate filter/catalyst system? Usually DEF exhaust fluid is used in higher horsepower ag equipment in addition to dpf?

/ DEF Use & Problems ? #6  
Is having the DEF system going to make me wish I hadn't bought a tractor with it ?

Tier IV emission standards require tractor manufacturers to add or revise pollution reduction technology on new tractors generating over 19 kW power = 25.4794 horsepower.

A Diesel Particulate Fillter (DPF) is used to meet Tier IV emission standards for more powerful tractor engines by the majority of tractor manufactures, but not all.

This technology was phased in 2009 to 2012. It is not "news". Tractor sales have increased steadily since 2009.

I've read only BAD things about it.
I'm totally ignorant of this subject.

Which is it?

Last edited:
   / DEF Use & Problems ? #7  
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is a solution of urea and water that's injected into the exhaust stream of diesel vehicles to turn NOx gases (harmful emissions) into nitrogen and water. This system is called a Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) implemented by vehicle manufacturers to meet EPA emissions standards in 2010.

DEF, a blue liquid, is a depleting fluid required with emissions control equipment on tractors starting at 75-horsepower.

Last edited:
   / DEF Use & Problems ? #8  
DPF IN T-B-N ARCHIVE:

TRACTORS WITH <25.4794 horsepower WITHOUT TIER IV PARAPHERNALIA:

Last edited:
   / DEF Use & Problems ? #9  
Sure it's not DPF diesel particulate filter/catalyst system? Usually DEF exhaust fluid is used in higher horsepower ag equipment in addition to dpf?
^ This.
Don't believe that model has to use DEF.

/ DEF Use & Problems ? #10  
Nope... the 235 has a DPF system... NO DEF!