Deere site reviews indicate the X754 has overheating issues. Why not X750 or X758?

/ Deere site reviews indicate the X754 has overheating issues. Why not X750 or X758? #11  
I bought a new Kubota F mower last year to replace my JD X750 to pick up another foot of deck, get done an hour earlier.
Mower was rear discharge and it threw so much material back into engine compartment I could not believe. Front mounted mower with rear discharge
has some inherent design challenges, and I don't think Kubota got it right with the RD deck.
Took forever to clean all that grass and dirt out of hidden corners, needed better protection
shrouding. Disliked the mower and sold it this Spring, went back to JD to do my mowing, about 650 hours on JD now.
So just know airflow issues are not uncommon...and it all depends upon what you are mowing. My mowing lawn does zero almost to clog filters.
Your mowing a field of tall weeds is the polar opposite. .

It is my understanding that Grasshopper with the RD deck has the same issue with blowing grass into all the crevices, and clogging the radiator and screens.

/ Deere site reviews indicate the X754 has overheating issues. Why not X750 or X758? #12  
Let's try this. I think I have the most basic model with the least amount of additional equipment on it.
Do any of you have additional internal shrouding that could be specific to your model? Anything to change the air flow
as seen in these pictures? My temp gauge goes up about a quarter of the way and sticks there like glue.

Attachments

• IMG_1566.JPG
    IMG_1566.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1567.JPG
    IMG_1567.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 225
   / Deere site reviews indicate the X754 has overheating issues. Why not X750 or X758? #13  
The x7** series radiator was not open to back blowing to get compacted dust out of the radiator. You have to get creative to get air to the engine side of the radiator...like a rubber hose tied to a blow gun with a wire attached to bend for shape. Use a light and mirror to SEE if light can get through the fins.

/ Deere site reviews indicate the X754 has overheating issues. Why not X750 or X758? #14  
I read a big reason for compacted dirt is getting moisture in there for any reason and the dirt cements onto the cooling fins, obviously reducing effectiveness of the unit.
Trick is to keep them clean, if you can, before they get thick accumulations. I don't like powerwashing in there except using my low pressure electric washer, and even then, like to take it pretty easy on any radiator assemblies. Yes, compared to a "regular" tractor, this is sort of backwards. My hand held Makita blower with rubber tip bends around to allow me to get in there, I hear you on the creativity. I just don't have a problem with it, yet.
Let's see if I make it into the multiple thousand hours, both the machine and me...

/ Deere site reviews indicate the X754 has overheating issues. Why not X750 or X758? #15  
I reread Kish's very good list. Coolant pump. If inadequate water flow, temps would rise quickly under load and high outside heat, and have nothing
to do with screen clogging whatsoever, or not core problem.

Gosh I'd go buy an inexpensive IR temp gun and start gunning this engine and log some numbers.
Find out if you really are getting hot at all.
If you are getting hot and your intakes are relatively clean, start looking elsewhere like pumps and bad grounds, etc.
I didn't know we had an OBD type plug in there but always first place to look.
Wonder what a reader costs for that? Proprietary JD?
JD loves proprietary...

Yep, special connector/cable and specialized software (diagnostic). That is why The Tractor/Ag manufacturers are being sued to release so owners can get it

/ Deere site reviews indicate the X754 has overheating issues. Why not X750 or X758? #16  
My Kubota tractor heated up more than normal a month ago when mowing, had to get off every 30 minutes or so and clean the air intake openings. When I serviced the tractor a week ago, I used compressed air to blow back through radiator every direction I could (hard to get around fan and shroud), I was surprised at the amount of dirt that came out of certain areas. I kept at it until I couldn't get anymore dirt out). Yesterday, I mowed about 7 hrs without stopping once to clean the air intakes.

I don't know if perhaps you have some dirt clogging up your radiator, at least partially blocking airflow.

/ Deere site reviews indicate the X754 has overheating issues. Why not X750 or X758? #17  
Thank you for all the replies! Amazing for an old thread.

I plan to blast the radiator oil cooler will compressed air once again. I will take notice of ambient temps and take a series of mechanical component temps.

I should point out that since the first day, the first cutting, this problem happened.

I will also get in touch with John Deere field service rep to see if there are any updates/solutions. If so, will post here.

Haasman

/ Deere site reviews indicate the X754 has overheating issues. Why not X750 or X758? #18  
Daugen

To reply to your posting, no indication of stress, over heating, coolant leaks or low levels.

/ Deere site reviews indicate the X754 has overheating issues. Why not X750 or X758? #19  
Daugen

To reply to your posting, no indication of stress, over heating, coolant leaks or low levels.

sure sounds like a sensor or thermostat.

And here's a warning for you JD X700 series. There is a factory defect in how they install the radiator hoses. Check your hoses to make sure a
sharp edge of a clamp has not worn through the hose, particularly if the hose position has been moved over a little. Dealer found mine leaking on routine service, behind
the hose and couldn't see it at all, just low coolant tank. So...check your hoses and make sure no clamps are rubbing. Sure made my eyes go wide when I saw it.

/ Deere site reviews indicate the X754 has overheating issues. Why not X750 or X758? #20  
I hadn't share that the temperature gauge always shows excessive heat- often into the red. The PTO shuts off just below the red zone on the gauge.

Daugen- thanks for the defect information on the radiator hoses.

Haasman