Deere 160 Lawn Tractor Starter

/ Deere 160 Lawn Tractor Starter #1  

Deere160person

I went to replace my positive battery cable and unhooked it from the battery and the bottom of the starter (I didn't replace it because it has an extra wire my new cable did not have). I reconnected the positive battery and now when I connect the negative battery cable, it makes the cylinder spin that the other end of the positive battery cable is connected to, even with no key in it. Any clues? I am a novice.

/ Deere 160 Lawn Tractor Starter #2  
My best guess is that you damaged the positive post on the starter where the wires make contact inside on the of the starter. Suggest that you take the starter off and take it to a starter re-builder for repairs if you are not mechanically inclined. When you learn what the starter costs to replace, the repair cost will be quite reasonable.

/ Deere 160 Lawn Tractor Starter
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Is the starter both units - the large one on the left and the smaller cylinder that the positive cable connects to?

/ Deere 160 Lawn Tractor Starter #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I went to replace my positive battery cable and unhooked it from the battery and the bottom of the starter (I didn't replace it because it has an extra wire my new cable did not have). )</font>
Deere160person,
Buy the cable at your Deere dealer to get the correct cable.
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am a novice. )</font>
Even MORE reason to buy from Deere.

Look here:<font color="green">John Deere Patrs</font>

Click "Model Search", Enter "160" -

I believe that you can order it online.

/ Deere 160 Lawn Tractor Starter #5  
Sounds to me like he just hooked the battery cable to the wrong post on the solenoid.