Deer Feed going to the Birds!

/ Deer Feed going to the Birds!
yes it is perfectly legal here in Ontario........lots of ideas here thanks everyone

/ Deer Feed going to the Birds! #12  
   / Deer Feed going to the Birds! #13  
Keep feeding the corn.

If legal, shoot one crow and hang it up, in plain view. The other crows won't come near it. When it decays, kill another one.

/ Deer Feed going to the Birds! #14  
. . .
I don't hunt much any more but luring deer with food to shoot them is in no way, IMO, "hunting".

Not arguing with your opinion. You are entitled to it, and welcome to express it.

I would suggest, however, that not many bucks are killed over food. In fact, I've never seen any bucks eating in my feeding areas, only yearlings and does. Bucks will come and eat, but only in the middle of the night. I keep food out to keep the does in the area. The bucks will come to the does.

/ Deer Feed going to the Birds! #15  
Not arguing with your opinion. You are entitled to it, and welcome to express it.

I would suggest, however, that not many bucks are killed over food. In fact, I've never seen any bucks eating in my feeding areas, only yearlings and does. Bucks will come and eat, but only in the middle of the night. I keep food out to keep the does in the area. The bucks will come to the does.

:thumbsup:

/ Deer Feed going to the Birds! #16  
I have been feeding deer for almost 12 years in the same spot on the edge of my yard. At times, I'll have a half-dozen does with several fawns and some young bucks. Mostly I have groups of 6 to 8 animals. I have never been able to tempt them more with sweet feeds or licks. Maybe those things work in some places, but they don't seem to work here. The years where they get lots of acorns, they will not even show up for corn, and it piles up below the feeder. If I have an open spinner on my feeder, the squirrels and raccoons spin the thing and pounds of corn end up on the ground. So far, my current feeder with a guard keeps them away. I hear crows at the feeder sometimes in the morning, but during the daytime I only see doves. One time I found a dove that had croaked below the feeder. It must have choked on a large grain of corn.

What is the most entertaining is see wild turkeys come to the feeder. They slowly browse in the grass as they get near to the feeder. When they are within 100' a single hen will suddenly recognize the feeder and start running toward it. All the other turkeys then race to the feeder as if their lives depend on getting there first. After they all get to the feeder and chase each other around for awhile, they eat some corn and leave. They almost never clean up all the corn. They just get a snack and move on. Within an hour, if they wander back toward the feeder, one hen will suddenly take off and run to the feeder and the whole sequence plays out over and over. With a flock of 20 turkeys or so, it's all pretty comical.:D

/ Deer Feed going to the Birds! #18  
I feed the deer coarse mix chop which has molasses etc in it in the winter time. In the fall I just use corn. Once in a while when the crows get bad I administer sudden onset lead poisoning to one or two and the rest seem to disappear. The turkeys are the worst in that they crap like Canada geese and don't care where, eat a lot and scratch up the ground like cultivators!
Raccoons and Coyotes may be a bit of an issue but if you shoot the raccoons and leave them for the coyotes they will leave the feed alone:thumbsup:
People who think that baiting deer is unsportsmanlike have not spent a lot of time observing them at feeders -- if it were that easy they would call it baiting or catching not hunting :thumbsup:

/ Deer Feed going to the Birds! #19  
... People who think that baiting deer is unsportsmanlike have not spent a lot of time observing them at feeders -- if it were that easy they would call it baiting or catching not hunting :thumbsup:

In fact, reasons not to feed deer go far beyond anything to do with sportsmanship.

Feeding Deer Harms their Health -- N.H. Fish and Game
Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife - Supplemental Feeding of White-Tailed Deer During Winter
Please don't feed the deer
Feeding corn to deer could be death sentence | Farm and Dairy - The Auction Guide and Rural Marketplace

/ Deer Feed going to the Birds! #20  
reasons not to feed deer go far beyond anything to do with sportsmanship
Note that all of the articles you posted refer to winter feeding which requires an understanding of where the deer are yarding or if they are yarding and of the digestive requirements of the feed.They are also talking about areas of high deer density and interaction with people.When I feed, I check with the Ministry first. Since I have a natural deer yard accessed through my property, I often talk to the biologist about whether and what to feed. Feeding in the fall is fair less delicate and does little to disrupt the pattern of deer. Every good sized buck I have ever seen at a feeder at any time of the year has been after legal hunting time and the first thing they do is chase away the other smaller deer. The first ones at the feeder every time will be the smaller ones getting in before the larger ones drive them away.
Baiting usually means putting feed, apples, salt licks etc where you want to attract deer and hold them in an area. As someone else mentioned a food plot is far more effective. Natural windfall apples this year were largely consumed by bears before the deer got to them:eek: