Deer Feed going to the Birds!

/ Deer Feed going to the Birds! #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
Although hunting season is over, for the past couple of years I have been feeding the deer in the hopes my Son in law hunter can get one.
However it seems the typical deer feed we can find at the local (Canadian) TSC store is a corn and molasses mix.
Unfortunately the crows and ravens just love the stuff and after they find it, they can clean up a bucket in no time. Also at night the raccons and coyotes feed on it.
Is there any suggestions to a deer feed that would not attract the wrong animals. I am even willing to consider tilling a few small plots and planting something that will feed deer. But ideally a deer feed that comes in bags and can be placed in a timer feeder would be great...........is there anything better than this corn and molasses stuff TSC stores sell in the big bags??

/ Deer Feed going to the Birds! #2  
Go the food plot route and make it big enough or the deer will eat it as it's growing.1/2 acre minimum.Sunflower,corn and soybeans is what I plant.Soybean being the best;they browse on it all summer and dig up the beans in the winter.Soybean seed was hard to come by this year..I lucked out and bought three bags that were left over.
You don;t need a grain drill either ,just broadcast and rake in.
A bag of corn/soybean will plant 2 1/2 acres;if you don;t plant it all save for the following year.

/ Deer Feed going to the Birds! #3  
If you can get wheat you might consider trying it.

Having no knowledge of feeding wheat except to hogs, a few years ago I had a couple of 55 gallon drums full of wheat that over the years had drawn moisture around the edges and was musty. I dumped them in a pile and the deer were in there every night until it was gone. They ate it down into the sand and maybe some sand to get the last kernel.

I don't know which birds might like it but I've found that chickens don't take to it very well.

OH, now I remember, pigeons and dove like wheat.

Last edited:
   / Deer Feed going to the Birds! #4  
Although hunting season is over, for the past couple of years I have been feeding the deer in the hopes my Son in law hunter can get one.
However it seems the typical deer feed we can find at the local (Canadian) TSC store is a corn and molasses mix.
Unfortunately the crows and ravens just love the stuff and after they find it, they can clean up a bucket in no time. Also at night the raccons and coyotes feed on it.
Is there any suggestions to a deer feed that would not attract the wrong animals. I am even willing to consider tilling a few small plots and planting something that will feed deer. But ideally a deer feed that comes in bags and can be placed in a timer feeder would be great...........is there anything better than this corn and molasses stuff TSC stores sell in the big bags??
Down here most use plain whole corn in a spin feeder. I would erect one right in the same place you have placed the corn molasses mix. You can try soaking the corn in water in a warm place for a day or 2 until it gets a sweet smell (don't want to go to long or it will get bad). That may attract them to the feed and help them identify corn as a food source. This mixture should be about 50% water. When you apply it, sling the corn water mixture around on the trees, grass, and bushes so the wind will pick up the scent. I have seen many deer stop, turn and investigate this odor.
You may also have luck placing a mineral or salt lick in that location as well.
Plain corn is very hard and is more difficult for small animals to eat so it takes them longer to eat it.
I don't think a food plot is an option for you until next spring so hopefully this will allow you to get the deer frequenting this location and decide if you want to invest in a food plot. Also, it will provide some needed nutrition for the deer through the winter.
If this works I'll be expecting some backstrap :licking:

/ Deer Feed going to the Birds!
Thanks Robert and everyone........already using salt licks (one location is same place seen in my avator infront of the bench at edge of my meadow and forest. There are cornfields a mile away that draws the turkeys and crows too so birds (and coyote scat has corn in it) unfortunately seem to have aquired a taste , so I think I might have to consider a feedplot (soybean) and use the dry corn in the broadcaster like Robert suggests.

/ Deer Feed going to the Birds! #6  
Have the same problem here but with HOGS. As soon as the sun sets the hogs come out and run the deer off. The smart deer eat before the sun sets.

/ Deer Feed going to the Birds! #7  
I have a friend that uses a post hole auger to knock shallow holes in the ground and then fills it with corn. He says the crows won't go in the hole but the deer will dig it out plus he doesn't like paying for or looking at feeders.

I don't think you can expect that you can prevent crows taking grain completely if you're running feeders. I used to be all over the board on setting the timers but now only have them going off 1.5 to 2 hours prior to last legal which reduces their window for consumption. Also I have a green laser mounted to scope that's zero'd at the feeder distance. Even during the day, flashing it in their eyes will chase them off. I also use it at night to confuse and chase off any deer so I can sneak out of my blind.

/ Deer Feed going to the Birds! #8  
Go to TSC and buy a couple of large fake owls. Put them on posts around the pile. The deer won't mind them and the birds won't come around them.if the TSC doesn't have them you can order them from Bass Pro Shop or Cabela's.

/ Deer Feed going to the Birds! #9  
Buy clean whole corn, put it in a feeder with the timer, set the timer to go off 5 minutes before good light and again 30 or so minutes before last light. Set the spin cycle timer and adjust the time until the deer leave little corn.

The idea is to condition the deer to be there when the feeder goes off, then hopefully they will clean up the corn and move on leaving less on the ground for vermin. You may need a wire "cage" surrounding the timer to keep squirrels and coons from spinning the timer plate and emptying the feeder.

Soy beans, Oats and sunflowers are premium plant's for food plots, among other legumes. I think it will depend on your agricultural area, but its much better for deer than just "throwing" corn)

Do a few Google searches on corn. I remember from AG class, corn is more a "deer candy" then any real nutritional value. Like 8% protein ( optimum for deer is 16% daily protein) and carbohydrates for energy ( carbs are good for winter warmth) Only buy clean Whole corn, not cracked corn since you would have lost some or most of the stored energy. I believe it is 1 BTU of energy stored in a kernel until the outside of the "shell" is cracked. Also be aware of Aflatoxins in corn, corn sold for deer consumption has usually failed the test for human consumption based on PPM, so it is sold as animal feed, wet corn spoils quickly and can compound the growth of the fungus.

good luck

/ Deer Feed going to the Birds! #10  
I like to keep things simple and do what works. Leaving corn on the ground and digging a hole for it to sit means it's just going to rot unless there are so many dear that they clean it up real quickly. The flavors and additives to the corn just adds a cost to it, but the deer like it just fine without. I even found that the deer and hogs where I live prefer the clean corn to the flavored stuff to the pount that they wont even touch it.

Is it legal to bait or plant food designed to bring deer in where you live? Here in Texas, it's legal. I know some states are against it and game wardens will go on your land to look if they think you are doing this. They don't need a permit either!!!!

Eddie