Decorative Silo

/ Decorative Silo #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Anyone have any experience building a decorative silo? we constructed a new small barn on our fairgrounds last year that is used as an "old McDonalds Farm attraction for kids. We want to add a silo along side of it-non functional. We have a 10' diameter Lancaster Dome that is in new condition. the key question is, what is the best way to do it.

We are looking at a wall height of about 20-23', ending up with a finished height of around 25/28'.

Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.

/ Decorative Silo #2  
What is your budget? Otherwise you will start to see many suggestions that could cost you a fortune.:)

/ Decorative Silo #3  
Metal Culverts, Inc.

Perhaps you can stand a steel culvert buried in the ground to get the height you need. May need to reinforce inside and of course make sure that it will support the weight of the dome. The link above is to a manufactor of different culverts. Briefly looked and they do have some 120" ones. Could talk to them and see what they think.

/ Decorative Silo
Metal Culverts, Inc.

Perhaps you can stand a steel culvert buried in the ground to get the height you need. May need to reinforce inside and of course make sure that it will support the weight of the dome. The link above is to a manufactor of different culverts. Briefly looked and they do have some 120" ones. Could talk to them and see what they think.

A-97-thx two good points. Labor/equipment is donated. Material $2,500.00
I know-not much but you know what non -profit ag fairs are all about!

You gave me a great idea on the culvert. We probably can't afford a full 10 x 24 culvert but I'm thinking about using say 6" wide bands as the horizontal ribs spaced say 3' apart lagged to vertical 2 x 6's at 30 degrees (12).

/ Decorative Silo #5  
A-97-thx two good points. Labor/equipment is donated. Material $2,500.00
I know-not much but you know what non -profit ag fairs are all about!

You gave me a great idea on the culvert. We probably can't afford a full 10 x 24 culvert but I'm thinking about using say 6" wide bands as the horizontal ribs spaced say 3' apart lagged to vertical 2 x 6's at 30 degrees (12).

That could work, but also don't forget to ask one of the companies if they would be willing to donate a culvert. Especially if you will put a plaque, do a write up in paper etc. You would be surprised. Worst thing is they say no, then ask if they could give you one for cost.