Deck Over vs Equipment Trailer w/ Fenders

/ Deck Over vs Equipment Trailer w/ Fenders #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
If both trailer styles deck over vs equipment trailer with fenders are the same specifications (length, axles & ramps ect) which will weigh more?

Deck over style

Equipment style trailers

I understand the benefits of both but unsure about the weight comparison.

The examples are bumper pull but the question applies to gooseneck trailers too.

/ Deck Over vs Equipment Trailer w/ Fenders #2  
   / Deck Over vs Equipment Trailer w/ Fenders #3  
I'm guessing deckover because there's a lot more volume of deck

/ Deck Over vs Equipment Trailer w/ Fenders #4  
The deck-over will have the higher weight because the width. I too can say that the tilt bed is the way to go. Seconds to load and no lifting or moving ramps.

/ Deck Over vs Equipment Trailer w/ Fenders
The deck-over will have the higher weight because the width. I too can say that the tilt bed is the way to go. Seconds to load and no lifting or moving ramps.
I was thinking that too.

/ Deck Over vs Equipment Trailer w/ Fenders #7  
Why guess? The spec sheets are posted - now compare actual weights of the units you want.

/ Deck Over vs Equipment Trailer w/ Fenders #8  
If both trailer styles deck over vs equipment trailer with fenders are the same specifications (length, axles & ramps ect) which will weigh more?

Deck over style

Equipment style trailers

I understand the benefits of both but unsure about the weight comparison.

The examples are bumper pull but the question applies to gooseneck trailers too.

if i'm reading those two links properly, the trailer weights are noted in the specs.
my preference is the lower profile equipment haulers... centre of gravity as low as possible is my goal

/ Deck Over vs Equipment Trailer w/ Fenders #9  
A word about tilt decks. When you load them, keep the weight as close to the hinge point as possible while tilting the deck, up or down. I loaded my tractor all the way to the front of the trailer while tilted, then when I lowered the deck, I bent the lifting gear. I should have loaded the tractor so it was equal weight both sides of the hinge, lowered the deck, then moved the tractor into position. Expensive lesson learned.

/ Deck Over vs Equipment Trailer w/ Fenders
if i'm reading those two links properly, the trailer weights are noted in the specs.
my preference is the lower profile equipment haulers... centre of gravity as low as possible is my goal
Those are just examples l’m likely to buy a used trailer.

My current 18’ trailer (16’ flat with 2’ dovetail and 7k lbs) is a little small in both length and weight capacity.

Attachments

• IMG_2691.jpeg
    IMG_2691.jpeg
    1,018.5 KB · Views: 119