Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade

/ Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade #131  
Speaking as a Suzuki owner, Suzuki actually made some pretty decent small cars from a mechanical reliability viewpoint, but then pulled out of the US car market (2012?) such that obtaining parts isn't so easy.
Totally agree with you. Suzuki make (made?) some of the most reliable cars on the road and they have a solid, almost cult-like following. Sure, they're cheap and simple, but they're well engineered to last. My oldest daughter bought an SX4 Crossover in 2010 that she put over 250,000 trouble free miles on. She drove that little car all over the US and it never once let her down. She replaced it with a Honda CRV and two years later she still misses her little SX4. I myself purchased a leftover 2011 SX4 in 2012 (a simpler, less appointed version of my daughter's) and loved it, too. Great in snow, AWD and light with at least 6" ground clearance. Problems in snow only when 8" or deeper. I moved another of my daughters from Long Island, NY to her new home in Huntsville, AL. We had the car loaded to the gills with her "stuff'' and you would think there was nothing in it when viewed from behind - no squat, no wheels splayed out like with most other cars when fully loaded. I eventually donated it to my other daughter (yes, I have lots of them) with nearly 50,000 trouble free miles. Not one thing had gone wrong or had to be replaced other than oil, filters, plugs. Even the exhaust & tires were still good. It now has nearly 100,000 trouble free miles and still going strong. The only complaint I would level is I loathe CV trannies and gas mileage for a small vehicle could be a lot better. It turns out, though, that Suzuki make absolute gems - if solid reliability is high on your list. My daughter has discovered that mechanics also like Suzukis and have made her offers (that so far she's refused.) That should tell you a lot.

/ Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade #132  
I never, ever trade in. I always sell it myself and then deal on the replacement. Years ago I was dealing on a car and when I mentioned maybe a trade in, the price went up. Learned my lesson. I don't mind them making money, just don't take ALL of mine!
Today it's "don't let them know you're paying cash." Usu the first question they ask is, ''will you be paying cash or financing?" As soon as you say "cash" miraculous extea costs appear on the invoice.

/ Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade #133  
Told my sweetheart I was thinking about buying a Bad Girl, didn't go over well.

/ Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade #134  
Only available to rent

/ Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade #135  
I remember when Minneapolis-Moline and Case were the most popular tractors in the thumb of Michigan,

/ Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade #136  
When you want to sell orange and you put something else on your lot that is quality for a better price. It doesn’t look good on your business..

My local new Holland dealer wasn’t very happy that I was able to buy the exact same thing as his boomer series for cheaper money when I bought my LS. At the time. LS was making all the boomers. It was exact same tractor with a different logo.

I think the slowing down economy, and trying to protect their brand, are the motivating factors.

/ Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade #137  
Tractor data says the Mahindra 2538 is built by TYM.

Another issue that seems to be going on is finding tractor mechanics to keep tractors running. I have a suspicion that one of the reasons for not wanting trade ins is the dealerships don't have the mechanics to figure out what is wrong and to make repairs on a cost effective basis on other brands. So they just don't want other brands that their mechanics aren't familiar with.
That's part of it and a rather large part.
Another large aspect however is if the trade needs parts.
It is the predominant reason and has little to do with "what brand sells".
The dealer has to back up what he sells unless there is a "sold as is " clause.
I once had a John Deere to trade (JD 750 in literal show room condition and 1600 hrs )and went to a John Deere dealer.
He showed me $1500 and said, "parts are getting tough for these so I can't offer you more".

/ Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade #138  
The mark up margins of yesteryear no longer exist today with autos, tractors or refrigerators. They have been reduced because of increases in costs for manufacturers. I mean the Burger King kid is now making $17 an hr. Margins are getting tighter and tighter.
The manufacturers say to the dealers: "if you want more money, you're gonna have to sell more stuff". Add to that what's happened to borrowing rates, insurance increases, wage increases, the lack of workers and the general malaise and distrust our entire culture seems to be living with these days, makes for one big, lousy soup.

It has become vicious out there with the dealerships on the low end of the totem pole and the sales people lower than a rattle snake's belly in a wagon wheel rut.
I was discussing margins for car dealerships with a person the other day. My opinion was that dealerships are making more servicing the cars they sell than they are making on the sale itself. Is this true?

/ Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade #139  
If I was looking at doing business with a dealer and saw them post an ad like the original post making a sarcastic/snide name change like 'Bad Girl' they could f right off. Having an attitude like that in common business dealing shows me I'd want nothing to do with them. Lack of professionalism.

/ Dealers Not Accepting Some Brands on Trade #140  
I was discussing margins for car dealerships with a person the other day. My opinion was that dealerships are making more servicing the cars they sell than they are making on the sale itself. Is this true?
Depends.
New cars that used to have a 3-4K margin, now have about a $1300 one showing on the invoice..and this for a 34K auto.
Most sales people get around a hundred bucks per car they sell now where they used to get 15-20% above invoice profit. There was room then to do that. Not anymore.
The owner of the dealership gets more with the unspoken and sacrosanct money going directly in his pocket from the manufacturer.
I used to know what that was but I do not anymore in todays world.
So, if that new car now has 35,000 miles on it and needs brakes, that could very well be $650 per axle.
The dealer pays insurances, salaries, benefits, along with utilities, taxes and the nut on his floor plan and or building.
It is why we now pay $140-$180 per hr in labor costs.
It has gotten so that if as a dealership owner, and you have only the one brand or dealership, you are most likely losing money.
It has now become critical that a dealership becomes a consortium owning 10 to 20 properties and brands to cover the market gamut of choices.
It's like betting on every horse in a race to cover the customer spread of choice..