Dealer recommended no ballast in tires

/ Dealer recommended no ballast in tires #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
When I bought my used L3710 with FEL this year I actually asked the dealer about loading the tires. He said something to this effect. We don't recommend loading the tires because it causes additional wear and tear on the tractor and it's not designed to need it blah blah. This is a large implement dealer with several stores. From what I can tell he sells at least 6 or 8 new Kubotas from that location per year.

This seems to be bad info and I am considering contacting him and talking to him about it again.

I would imagine his reaction will be...go ahead and load em if it will make you feel better. My concern is that he will continue to advise against it.

Kevin

/ Dealer recommended no ballast in tires #2  
JD allows you to. check in your owners manual the main concern is powerhop by no fluid it allows more flex ,

but in saying that i'd load them up it made a ton of difference on my hino e2004 it was lifting a wheel while mowing on my estate after adding fluid front and rear i don't even have to use 4wd anymore to keep it pulling and a ton more stable and can pull like a locomotive now.

/ Dealer recommended no ballast in tires #3  
Actually most of the tire manufactures no longer recommend loading tires. They still give the information on filling but they now recommend that only weights are used. Tires don't flex and get the max. traction if they are filled, or not as much as unfilled tires that are ballasted with cast iron. What your deader was saying is that over weighting with fluid for the intended use is hard on your tractor and can't be removed easily, cast iron can be removed as needed.

/ Dealer recommended no ballast in tires #4  
My (somewhat cynical) response is that the dealer makes a lot more money selling you ballast boxes, wheel weights, and suitcase weights than he does by loading the tires. I can't imagine operating my loader and going up and down hills without loaded tires.

/ Dealer recommended no ballast in tires #5  
I fill my 75% on rear and probaly 90% in front when dealing with bias ply tires it realy doesn't matter since the air pressure is in the 20-30 psi range.

Maybe If you have radial tires you probaly could get better ride quality/traction?

but i think my tractor is alot less bouncy with my filled tires and has about 25% more traction. Mine jumped around and was wheel hoping bad with cast weights and bias tires. 160# of cast weights were replaced with around 15 gal of wf.

/ Dealer recommended no ballast in tires #6  
As far as wear and tear on the tractor, it seems to me that loaded tires would actually reduce it compared to add-on weights. The extra weight of loaded tires is carried by the ground itself. If you hang a bunch of weight on the 3ph, axles, or front weight rack the weight is carried by the stressed components of the tractor itself - bearings, axles, etc. In both cases the drivetrain has to work harder to move the weight around but I can't that it makes much difference to the drivetrain whether the weight is from loaded tires or add-on weights.

/ Dealer recommended no ballast in tires #7  
Kevin,

All the guys I talk to around here say not to do it for one simple reason: thorns.
Those that have done it in my area appear to have a lot more trouble with flats.
The heavy tire probably is more likely to get a puncture.
But in my opinion the really good reason would be the pain and suffering of replacing the tire out in a muddy field when it weights hundreds of pounds. Unless you have a second loader to haul and position the tires with.

Fred

/ Dealer recommended no ballast in tires #8  
If you really knew you wanted you tires loaded forever...you could have them foam filled...

No punctures to worry about...heavier than a liquid filled tire...but no turning back. Once foam filled, filled forever... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Dealer recommended no ballast in tires #9  
Henro,

I would like to but for my 16x32 (? if memory serves) it would cost a fortune.

You do make a good point though. Foam fill would solve this problem.

Fred

/ Dealer recommended no ballast in tires #10  
<font color="blue"> All the guys I talk to around here say not to do it for one simple reason: thorns.
Those that have done it in my area appear to have a lot more trouble with flats.
</font>

Interesting...one of the things I noticed after filling mine (which is a good idea IMHO) was that I don't get flats any more. I used to get 'em all the time, BF (Before Filling).