cutipacker for breaking up manure in pasture?

/ cutipacker for breaking up manure in pasture? #1  

Elviscaretaker

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30/ Same Duetz Fahr 5110
Ok, I have a odd one here.
Has anyone used a cultipacker for breaking up cow manure in pasture? If not, why wouldn't you want to do this vs a screen harrow.
New to "farming" and looking for efficient ways to take care of things and this "project" as it grows out of control. :) And needing to buy/store more equipment.
Thanks!

/ cutipacker for breaking up manure in pasture? #2  
A cultipacker isn't mechanically suited to break up anything. It's design and purpose is to prepare soil/seed bed. Breaking up manure is best suited for basically any kind of harrow you can get your hands on. If your not trying to cultivate soil then a chain harrow is probably the best of that group with disk harrow being least desire. Could also look out for an old spring tooth harrow as well for this.

/ cutipacker for breaking up manure in pasture? #3  
Do what all us poors do; grab a piece of hog panel, through a couple bricks on one end, use an old beat up piece of rope (must break at least twice during the process) to tie it to your fourwheeler or tractor, and zigzag all over that place.

/ cutipacker for breaking up manure in pasture? #5  
What is it you are trying to break up? Cow patties or Horse apples? Cow manure breaks up easier than horse manure. A piece of chain link fence about 6' x 6' minimum, 2 x 4s bolted together on 2 sides (total of 4 2 x 4s) and a piece of chain connecting to 1 pair of 2 x 4s works well. A couple of cinder blocks or any similar size rock on top helps. If it is horse manure you will end up collecting more of that into a pile than breaking it up, especially if it is dry. Cow manure shreds apart easy.

/ cutipacker for breaking up manure in pasture? #6  
A harrow, fence panel or gate will work best to break up manure piles, however that also depends on what kind of manure piles. I built a 3 pt mounted arena rake that is basically a glorified spike tooth harrow with a drag bar on the back and it worked quite well on a horse pasture last week. Grass kind of bunched up on the teeth which made it drag and spread poop piles even better.

/ cutipacker for breaking up manure in pasture? #8  
Using the culti-packer will do a better job than you sitting in a Lazy-Boy recliner,,
fence, panel, tires, culti-packer,,,,,,, anything will help.

I built a dedicated tool for this,, but, it was not perfect until I attached a set of dual wheel truck snow chains behind.
The snow chains work well because of the small size, and relatively heavy weight.

I saw a neighbor pulling 6 truck tires bolted together just this week,
the tires did a wonderful job,,
I would imagine the tires will last 60 years or more, no matter how much you pull them.

/ cutipacker for breaking up manure in pasture?
A cultipacker isn't mechanically suited to break up anything. It's design and purpose is to prepare soil/seed bed. Breaking up manure is best suited for basically any kind of harrow you can get your hands on. If your not trying to cultivate soil then a chain harrow is probably the best of that group with disk harrow being least desire. Could also look out for an old spring tooth harrow as well for this.
Thanks, that a good explanation. There is a ton of different equipment out there that I have no clue what it's used for.

/ cutipacker for breaking up manure in pasture?
Do what all us poors do; grab a piece of hog panel, through a couple bricks on one end, use an old beat up piece of rope (must break at least twice during the process) to tie it to your fourwheeler or tractor, and zigzag all over that place.
LOL, I set up a screen with cattle panel I had laying around last year, it worked but I'm thinking there has to be a better way. Used railroad ties to weigh it down but turning around corners sort of destroyed it. No 4 wheeler, but I'm seeing the need for one.