Cut-off guides for firewood

/ Cut-off guides for firewood #1  

turnkey4099

Elite Member
003.jpg

Over the years I have tried every method of marking logs for cutting that I have heard of.

Mark the whole log and start cutting? Nope. Come to a crook, crotch, limb, etc and you have to make an adjustment - throws all subsequent marks off.

Eyeball? Nope. Doesn't work for me. On big stuff I cut short blocks, little stuff I cut long

Measure with saw bar? Not for me! I get enough workout running a saw without waving it around flipping it 90 degrees twice for each cut.

Years ago I made cut-off guids that bolted on the bar studs. The Husky 51 in the center has one on it. Not very good as it takes way to much time to mount/dismount.

Carry a measuring stick? Yep, that I do but it is a bit awkward and detracts from a proper hold on the saw. I used to use sticks or dowels painted white. Last year I spotted the white plastic 1/4" plumbing pipes - already painted white and thin enough to make it a bit easier to carry. I cut 3 of them out of one length of pipe. That is one of them at the bottom of the pic.

Commercial cut-off guide "Quick Stix" from Baileys. Good idea but pee poor design. The plastic rods are so flimsy they break just by setting the saw down. I broke 3 of them in the first few minutes of using each even being careful.

I replaced the plastic ones with 5/16 rod from Ace Hardware. Found that it is close enough to thread using a 8 x 1.5mm die. Works fine. Spins on/of the union' nut in seconds. Most times I do my limbing as I go and leave the rod on. One gets used to it rapidly.

Yes I know, "it'll get in the way" Nope, not to a noticeable degree. "it would be on when I want it off" - so do it. Remember, spins on/off in seconds.

It is not for everyone but it works for me and I wouldn't be without them.

Union nuts are, so I am told, available at McMasters.

Harry K

/ Cut-off guides for firewood #2  
That is a clever idea. What I do is just use the saw itself to measure, I have a particular spot on the saw for the length I cut. Granted I need to rotate the saw 90 degrees to do it. :D

/ Cut-off guides for firewood #3  
Never tried the "Quick Stix" type, figured they'd get broke in no time. Always wondered why they didn't incorporate a sping mount so it could flex out of the way..

For now I'm using a piece of 2x2 painted dayglo so I can find it when I inevitably misplace it in the woods...already lost several pieces of pvc pipe, I also have mark on the bar for when I can't find my stick., :laughing:

/ Cut-off guides for firewood #4  
I made a mark on the bar and use it to measure.

/ Cut-off guides for firewood #5  
I can usually just go by sight, but if I need to measure then I turn the saw. I do have a question though, and maybe it is stupid. I don't understand why the need for perfectly measured fire wood? Does the woodstove go out, or spit the wood back if it's not perfect :D? I've been burning wood for 30+ yrs and have yet to be cold because of wrong sized wood {off by a couple of inches}. I understand if it is for sale and customers are picky, or if you stack the wood in the front yard like a sculpted masterpiece. If your just going to burn it then what is all the nerve racking and hassle over, it's just fire wood?

/ Cut-off guides for firewood #6  
I can usually just go by sight, but if I need to measure then I turn the saw. I do have a question though, and maybe it is stupid. I don't understand why the need for perfectly measured fire wood? Does the woodstove go out, or spit the wood back if it's not perfect :D? I've been burning wood for 30+ yrs and have yet to be cold because of wrong sized wood {off by a couple of inches}. I understand if it is for sale and customers are picky, or if you stack the wood in the front yard like a sculpted masterpiece. If your just going to burn it then what is all the nerve racking and hassle over, it's just fire wood?

I have been burning wood for many many years. If I am going to take that much time and effort I am darn well sure that it is going to stack nicely and all be the same length.

My stove takes a 20" stick and I cut all my wood at 18" ....marked with the bar on my saw.

/ Cut-off guides for firewood #7  
I love the look of a uniform wood pile. It's just a thing of beauty.

/ Cut-off guides for firewood #8  
just an Idea here,

but if you put a short section of pipe on the nut, and then put a hole in the pipe that would accept a spring pin, then make a rod, (would think fiber glass would be ideal) as it is flexible, but that way one could insert it and remove it in just seconds, (the spring pin to hold the rod in)

/ Cut-off guides for firewood #9  
I just judge mine for legnth, But do get a bit 'greedy' sometimes and find I get one a bit to long and cant close the door. so its either taken out in flames with the pinchers. or dragged out of the stove a bit and then electric chainsawed down to legnth.

/ Cut-off guides for firewood #10  
once you cut alot of wood, you'll never need to measure again. Its kinda like breathing, you just do it right without thinking! :laughing:

My stove takes 24 inch wood, but I like 18 inch as its easier to handle. If I cut mine a few inches too long by accident, it most always still fits in the 24 inch burner.

When i first started cutting wood, I was always cutting them either really short or really long. thats ended now that I cut 30+ face cord a year! :confused2: