current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc.

/ current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc.
Personally, I use an 8gal HF compressor; and would hate to go back to those 12v air pumps; BUT; for you use; I would recommend a jump pack-air compressor combo-back up power bank combo. Most of them charge with 12V or 120V; have good jump capability, good compressor ability, and as long as you don't go with the old style, lead-acid ones; they are light and store a charge for months.View attachment 784388
When I started this thread last year that's the type of device I was looking for, but in a name brand.
If you like the Dewalt but think it is dying, why not just get a new one of the same??
I don't think it is dying, I just want a good backup.
I'd prefer to make the backup a stronger.
I like to keep a small one with each vehicle.
Just two days ago I grabbed a small compressor I had bought a few years ago from HF and stored in my dually. The blasted quik connect valve adapter broke. Grabbed another backup compressor from another vehicle, that was about 6 years old and that one wouldn't go over 10lbs. Had to use a "pancake" compressor.

So now I'll probably go for one like paulsharvey linked to.

/ current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc. #12  
You've probably already seen this, but:
Project farm on YouTube tested a bunch of these kinda devices I think a Causeway (probably should double check) took top play. If you're not familiar with Project Farm; he buys and tests many products, and doesn't get paid by sellers. He probably does get Amazon affiliate link money, but he seems pretty straightforward.

Edit: It looks like the style he reviewed all have 120V power inverters built in; and all are fairly large, and weigh 15-20 lbs. The review is atleast a year old, so I don't know if the mini style ones like I linked 1st where available then. The small one I linked was about 1/2 the price, but it didn't include 120v power inverter.

Last edited:
   / current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc. #13  
   / current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc. #14  
Dewalt makes a pancake style compressor that runs off 20/60v batteries that looked like it might work a little better than the box-type portables.
You could also use it for small nail gun jobs.

/ current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc. #15  
I have the DeWalt DCC020IB portable compressor:

It's great for wheelbarrow & bicycle tires or for topping off a larger one but it overheats when trying to fill a flat truck tire. It can be done but it takes a long time.

For raising the pressure in my truck tires after offroading, I switched to this Viair model:

It's twice the price of the DeWalt but it refills the tires 20X faster. Yeah, you have to hook it up to the battery but I use this trailer wiring connector so I don't have to pop the hood and fool around with alligator clips:

/ current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc. #16  
When I was building my cabin I used my old porter cable pancake, 2x the pressure switch failed replaced it once 2nd time bought a DeWalt pancake compressor had it for almost 10 yrs no problems I did buy and install a better drain, ball valve definitely worth the extra 5-10 bucks verse the OEM screw type drains. I've run a framing and finish nailer off it never a problem, inflated car, tractor, trailer, and ATV tires often.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230218-092404.png
    Screenshot_20230218-092404.png
    472.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
   / current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc. #17  
I might just have to get that Vaiair unit

/ current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc. #18  
For super portability I have a old tankless Coleman brand 12v tire inflator I store in my RV also has adapters to inflate kids water toys. Slower but does the job.

Last edited:
   / current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc. #19  
Can't go wrong with viar. They work really well considering it's tankless. Worth the money

/ current (11/5/22) recommendation for small air compressor for tires etc.
Can't go wrong with viar. They work really well considering it's tankless. Worth the money
That's what I was told. Mine died after about 3 years, topping off tires on my dually, me E350, my B7610. Total of 14 tires, usually less than 5 minutes per tire 2 or three times a year. Always kept in the truck.