Cultipacker Substitute

/ Cultipacker Substitute
Im in Putnam County

This is what i have been learning as well. A lot of guys say seed is seed but brassica and clover etc require different depth. If not compacted a lot of seed is lost and never really takes.

/ Cultipacker Substitute #12  
38E956EA-57F1-428F-BE28-F5A357740F92.jpegI’m looking to make something like this drain pipe filled with concrete.

/ Cultipacker Substitute #13  
Keep on the lookout for used cultipackers. They were tough to find for a while, when scrap steel prices were real high. Now that scrap steel prices are low, they are much easier to locate.

A neighbor dragged a couple old rusty ones out by the road last summer, by my place in western NY. They were both 8 feet wide, and in rough shape with bent up frames, missing bearings, and had some busted wheels. I stopped and asked about the better of the 2, and the woman let me have it for $ 40.

Only 2 of the iron wheels were broken, and I will need to make new wooden bearings for it. They are easy to make from white oak or pressure treated 4 × 4's. The frame also needs straightening. It should only take me a couple hours to make it into a fine, serviceable 7 footer.

I already have a 7 footer at my place, that I rebuilt similarly about 20 years ago (I traded the guy a case of beer for that one). I need the new one over at my folks place, about 15 miles away. I have been getting by over there, dragging a log, chain link fence, or using my dad's side by side wheels to push in the seeds. That works, but not nearly as well as a cultipacker. I get very uniform seed germination at my place, but spotty over there.

Some folks use lawn rollers or culvert pipe rigs like that pictured above. Those might be a step up from chain link fence or log drags, but still not as effective as a real cultipacker. A cultipacker has extra clearance between the wheels and the axle which lets the wheels move up and down independently over uneven ground. The culvert pipe and lawn rollers are all one piece, and lack that independent wheel movement feature.

Attachments

• 20210425_054045.jpg
    20210425_054045.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 206
Last edited:
   / Cultipacker Substitute #14  
my food plots tend to be long and narrow... I used a lawn roller but it tore up ... I have been trying to minimize what I take into woods... have real sandy soil so I just broadcast and run over back and forth with UTV... no different than using cultipacker.. just have to move over a tire width at a time.

/ Cultipacker Substitute #15  
my food plots tend to be long and narrow... I used a lawn roller but it tore up ... I have been trying to minimize what I take into woods... have real sandy soil so I just broadcast and run over back and forth with UTV... no different than using cultipacker.. just have to move over a tire width at a time.
Thanks for the reminder. I need to finish up my cultipacker cut-down / refurbishment project. I have tried other methods (dragging a log, atv tires, etc) over at my parents place (about 15 miles away) but they don’t work nearly as good as the cultipacker that I use at home. I would love to have one over at their place, where I was able to kill (3) deer over the last year. The food plots are needing a bit of rework over there.

A friend at work just offered me a good deal on an old Craftsmen 220 volt welder, and I am currently in the process of wiring my shop with 220 volt power. Rebuilding that old cultipacker will be a great first job for that old welder.

/ Cultipacker Substitute #16  
Thanks for the reminder. I need to finish up my cultipacker cut-down / refurbishment project. I have tried other methods (dragging a log, atv tires, etc) over at my parents place (about 15 miles away) but they don’t work nearly as good as the cultipacker that I use at home. I would love to have one over at their place, where I was able to kill (3) deer over the last year. The food plots are needing a bit of rework over there.

A friend at work just offered me a good deal on an old Craftsmen 220 volt welder, and I am currently in the process of wiring my shop with 220 volt power. Rebuilding that old cultipacker will be a great first job for that old welder.
I had also used my 65 hp Massey Ferguson with 4WD and R1 ag tires front and rear.. pulls about 8k lbs... packed real good and plots came in great...but trying to get plots done without so much different equipment. Also stopped discing as it seemed to invite the hogs and they would root the plots real bad ruining them