Cultipacker Substitute

/ Cultipacker Substitute #1  

tomt574

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM T574 HST FWD CAB
Hello everyone

Well i have used chainlink and drag harrows and other contraptions and they do okay. Over the years I have come to realize that the cultipacker is a very important tool for turning out a great food plot and have good seed to soil contact. I really wanted to have one for this years plots but money is an issue so I may have to pass. So i am using a Disc Harrow then I take all the angle out and make some passes to try and get the clumps out. Was wondering if I added a tooth bar attatchment which is only about 300$ to my loader and used it to pass and compact the soil and fill in some of the deep cracks but still allow for some seed dept and compaction and then drag harrow over that. Anyone try this. Maybe I'm just over thinking the whole thing.

Thanks
T

/ Cultipacker Substitute #2  
If on a budget, use what you have:

• Disc to till
  • Drag to smooth
  • Plant
  • Pull Chain Link Fence to lightly cover seed
  • Drive round and round to pack the soil over the seed soil with rear tires (it doesn't take as many passes as you think)

Last edited:
   / Cultipacker Substitute #6  
have you got a back blade? if so turn it around and drag with it backwards.

/ Cultipacker Substitute #7  
I Found a great used cultipacker close to my farm in north east mo.It has made my food plots explode.If you are close to me you could borrow it .I also have a steel roller i made that i dont use anymore you are welcome to.

/ Cultipacker Substitute #8  
I use a 4' packermaxx ATV cultipacker that I have had for years now. It's not overly expensive in terms of price and is pretty portable. I pull it with my ATV since it is only 4' wide. I been pleased with its results.

/ Cultipacker Substitute #9  
I have a home made drag that I pull with my ATV. It scuffs up the soil - flattens - covers the seed - - all at the same time. It's 4x4's - scrap plywood - LARGE SPIKES. I made it over 20 years ago. Still holding up and seems to work just fine. View attachment 663092

/ Cultipacker Substitute
I Found a great used cultipacker close to my farm in north east mo.It has made my food plots explode.If you are close to me you could borrow it .I also have a steel roller i made that i dont use anymore you are welcome to.

Im in Putnam County