Culled my first rooster yesterday :(

/ Culled my first rooster yesterday :( #1  

LittleBittyBigJohn

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025R, Spartan SRT-XD 72" zero turn
RIP Slider :(

He was a good chicken protector but he got too aggressive. The last straw was a walker on the road in front of our house. We let the chickens out to roam for a couple hours most evenings. Usually he leaves people alone if they are far enough away but he chased the poor walker for quite a ways and has apparently done that multiple times. That along with flogging basically everyone but me and he is just too much liability to handle.

This is my first animal ever to have to cull. I'm pretty heartbroken. His girls were waiting on him last night and didn't want to go into the coop without him.

20230716_065753.jpg

/ Culled my first rooster yesterday :( #2  
I did the same to two roosters last week. Too aggressive but doing what they are born to do. Skinned them and the wife made broth out of them.

We got another 20 "hens" that are 4 weeks old now and there are two roosters in that group that were supposed to be hens. So I will end up having to cull those too.

/ Culled my first rooster yesterday :( #3  
SIL had to do that to a rooster a year or so ago. Went after my daughter and got her on the back, got the grandaughter on the cheek just below the eye a day or so later, rooster lived another 5 minutes after that.
They got another rooster that would guard the hens like no ones business. Grandaughter, she could pick up the hens, chicks, even the rooster it was so mild mannered around her it was crazy. Unfortunately an eagle got it and another chicken.

/ Culled my first rooster yesterday :( #4  
I've had dogs explode a few rooster that went after kids, big puff of feathers and done. No problem with the dogs and chickens otherwise.

/ Culled my first rooster yesterday :( #5  
SIL had to do that to a rooster a year or so ago. Went after my daughter and got her on the back, got the grandaughter on the cheek just below the eye a day or so later, rooster lived another 5 minutes after that.
They got another rooster that would guard the hens like no ones business. Grandaughter, she could pick up the hens, chicks, even the rooster it was so mild mannered around her it was crazy. Unfortunately an eagle got it and another chicken.
Just curious if you remember what breed the rooster was? Some breeds are known to have a calmer diposition. Asking because I just culled my rooster and am hunting for a replacement.

/ Culled my first rooster yesterday :( #6  
As my wife talked to the rooster, she told him several times that if he didn't behave he would have to "RIP". I agreed. But here RIP means "rest in pan", the frying pan.
My city girl no longer names the chickens, says if she does she has a harder time frying them.

/ Culled my first rooster yesterday :( #7  
For me, that is one of the hardest things to do when raising chickens. I have culled one or two Roos for aggressiveness, given several away, snacked on a few, and lost a few to age, heart stoppage, and sadly predators. I know that they protected the hens. I will be getting 75 - 100 day old and sexed chicks in the Spring again.

/ Culled my first rooster yesterday :( #9  
I've had a couple turn aggressive, but mostly they won't leave the hens alone so the birds go into winter with no feathers on their backs.
Then there was the time that I let a few turkeys run loose with the hens... Now I know where a "turken" comes from. (not really)

/ Culled my first rooster yesterday :( #10  
Just drilled another ground hog a few minutes ago with my 17 HMR Savage. Fun to shoot, think I've 'culled' about 15 so far. Sit on the deck and wait patiently and I always get rewarded.