Culled my first rooster yesterday :(

/ Culled my first rooster yesterday :( #11  
I'm sure the Rooster was tasty.

/ Culled my first rooster yesterday :( #12  
I've had a couple turn aggressive, but mostly they won't leave the hens alone so the birds go into winter with no feathers on their backs.
Then there was the time that I let a few turkeys run loose with the hens... Now I know where a "turken" comes from. (not really)
I had to cull all of my roosters this past summer and a hen that had her back torn up from them. I was out feeding them and my wife had told me we had a hen that didn't want to come out of the chicken coop to eat. She came out and the alpha rooster jumped on her back and when he did, I could see her back was completely opened up from his claws. She was very wounded.

I culled her within 10 minutes. Can't handle an animal suffering. Culled the Rooster right after her. Not a good day. They were also getting aggressive toward my 5 year old grandson and I wasn't going to have him traumatized of chickens. He loves feeding the hens now.

/ Culled my first rooster yesterday :( #13  
When I was a kid my parents raised Leghorns for hatching. Some of the roosters got quite aggressive. To the point us kids were reluctant to go into the barn. Dad taught us to take a stick along. We still had to watch but at least we didn't end up with bruises on our legs.

/ Culled my first rooster yesterday :( #14  
I worked for a landscaper years ago who kept a free ranging rooster which was so aggressive that when we were loading trucks, one person would stand guard with a garden hose. He loved sneaking up behind people and attacking them with his spurs.
I can't imagine tolerating that anyways, but definitely not when running a retail business.
I had one that was getting aggressive with my dog but I tried to get Ruger to defend himself. Then the bird started sneaking up on me. He attacked me one evening while I was feeding and that was his last mistake. I walked out to the truck, grabbed my axe, snatched him, laid his head on a stump and that was the end. Meanwhile my pup's in the back seat of the truck watching, with his eyes as big as saucers.

/ Culled my first rooster yesterday :( #15  
Yeh, it's no fun, I've culled a few male ducks for similar reasons. Well, that's part of keeping livestock, u gotta do what needs doing.

/ Culled my first rooster yesterday :( #16  
Years ago had an aggressive rooster. He'd come running/fly to attack me when I came out to the yard. I kind of enjoyed it. He'd come flying up and I'd put my boot up and he'd fly into it. Then I'd chase him with the broom I carried. Pissed him off to no end.
Rooster ball as I called it was entertaining. Bat him all over the yard. You didn't dare turn your back though.
Then one day I came out with my big "new" rubber boots on. He came as usual and spiked me right through the boot. I still have a small scar.
He was a little tough but the soup was great.

/ Culled my first rooster yesterday :( #17  
We've had good luck with Buff Orpington roosters..... tend to be nice. YMMV

/ Culled my first rooster yesterday :(
We've had good luck with Buff Orpington roosters..... tend to be nice. YMMV

I have 3 Orphington roosters right now. I've got 1 picked out that I hope is going to keep a good demeaner and graduate to the flock daddy. I'm going to have to figure out how to get rid of the extras without having a repeat of last weekend...

/ Culled my first rooster yesterday :( #19  
I've had dogs explode a few rooster that went after kids, big puff of feathers and done. No problem with the dogs and chickens otherwise.
Yes I have a GSD that will tolerate no aggressive behavior of any kind from anything or anybody towards the grandkids. A rooster wouldn't know what hit him.