Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #71  
I’ve completed my first two mowing sessions of the season. The mower is running and performing great. However, I’ve had a couple instances tearing turf on my zero turns. We’ve had a really wet spring thus far. So I’m not sure if it’s my driving or the condition of the soil. We’ll see…

Mike
It's your front anti-scalp wheels digging in. Have that issue with both of mine, my 60" tank and my wife's ZTR with the steering wheel, which she prefers.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #72  
Anti-scalp wheels digging in is not the issue I have had - it's actually the front steering wheels when going too fast and/or cutting too sharp a turn.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #73  
Anti-scalp wheels digging in is not the issue I have had - it's actually the front steering wheels when going too fast and/or cutting too sharp a turn.
Not with ours. Every situation is different I would imagine. Actually, I prefer the steering wheel over the belly bars as a tight turn with the wheel eliminates any coordination required to keep the inside rear wheel from tearing up the sod, something I do quite often with my tank.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #74  
I’ll have to pay more attention to the anti-scalp, front and rear wheels if the condition persists.

Mike

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #75  
But most of the time not a concern since most of the covers that I remove are getting new covers due to the charge pump leaking issue.
I've replaced more than a few 'O' rings. I like to take the pump cover and run it over a flat mill file to make sure it's flat and then a new 80 cent 'O' ring and it's off to the races. One thing about the cover is, there is only one 'right way'. The wrong way and the mower don't move.

I've got over 1250 hours on my 50" tank with very little issues, other than blades, a spindle once in a while and deck drive belt. The kawasaki is a pig on gas however. My wife's Kohler is much better but the Kohler's valves tend to need adjusted every year. Been letting the wife do most of the mowing as hers is, like I said, much more frugal on fuel.

I've heard that 1000 hours is about all one can expect on the Kawasaki but I've really had no engine issues at all.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #76  
The kawasaki is a pig on gas however.

I've heard that 1000 hours is about all one can expect on the Kawasaki but I've really had no engine issues at all.

Absolutely! That’s my one and only complaint regarding my PRO Z 560S KW….fuel consumption…it’s horrible!

Interesting on the Kawasaki needing replacement at 1,000 hours. My dealer says these things last forever…

Mike

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #77  
I've replaced more than a few 'O' rings. I like to take the pump cover and run it over a flat mill file to make sure it's flat and then a new 80 cent 'O' ring and it's off to the races. One thing about the cover is, there is only one 'right way'. The wrong way and the mower don't move.

I've got over 1250 hours on my 50" tank with very little issues, other than blades, a spindle once in a while and deck drive belt. The kawasaki is a pig on gas however. My wife's Kohler is much better but the Kohler's valves tend to need adjusted every year. Been letting the wife do most of the mowing as hers is, like I said, much more frugal on fuel.

The reason there is one "right way" is because the pump cover is off center and by turning the cover 180 degrees causing the pump to attempt to pump in the opposite direction, and in the case of the transaxle starves the main pump of oil is the reason it won't move. No oil to produce pressure for movement.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #78  
Absolutely! That’s my one and only complaint regarding my PRO Z 560S KW….fuel consumption…it’s horrible!

Interesting on the Kawasaki needing replacement at 1,000 hours. My dealer says these things last forever…

Mike
Just what I read somewhere about service life but mine is past that and runs like a top, a guzzling top though. I do know the Kohler Courage on my wife's steering wheel RZT has a much smaller carb on it (rated at almost the same horsepower) as the Kawolski I have on the 60" tank. Not overly impressed with the Kohler. Pretty cheaply made engine. I was taken back by the lack of valve cover gaskets (none) and their recommendation of using black RTV as the gasket. It now has valve cover gaskets as I made them from Fel-Pro gasket material I had in the shop.

That to me is extremely cheap. The Kohler also is in the habit of blowing off a bit of oil smoke on startup. It don't have a lot of hours on it, maybe 200 max. Did a valve adjustment anyway, when I discovered the lack of valve cover gaskets.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #79  
The reason there is one "right way" is because the pump cover is off center and by turning the cover 180 degrees causing the pump to attempt to pump in the opposite direction, and in the case of the transaxle starves the main pump of oil is the reason it won't move. No oil to produce pressure for movement.
Mine are both marked now as to the correct direction. I took a small punch and put a dimple on the cover and the pump body to replace them correctly. I seem to get a leaking O ring every couple years. I change the oil in the pumps every other year and those ultra expensive filters too. You don't, per chance have a cross on the filters do you as they are stupid expensive.

My wife's steering wheel ZTR has no filters and the HG pumps are from what I can ascertain, are sealed. Actually, I'd like to drain and change them as well. I'm against sealed for 'life' units. Life can be a long time but then 'life' can be a short time as well.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #80  
Mine are both marked now as to the correct direction. I took a small punch and put a dimple on the cover and the pump body to replace them correctly. I seem to get a leaking O ring every couple years. I change the oil in the pumps every other year and those ultra expensive filters too. You don't, per chance have a cross on the filters do you as they are stupid expensive.

My wife's steering wheel ZTR has no filters and the HG pumps are from what I can ascertain, are sealed. Actually, I'd like to drain and change them as well. I'm against sealed for 'life' units. Life can be a long time but then 'life' can be a short time as well.
The aluminum charge pump covers were the ones that Hydrogear was having issues with warpage and leaking. Replaced with cast metal covers. I don't have a cross for the filters, but then again I am a dealer service center for hydrogear so tend to lean OEM parts when possible.

The sealed ones can be drained and refilled, but you either have to get to the fill/vent plug on top and then suck them out and refill, or remove the unit and turn upside down to drain the oil.

And Hydrogear recommends to either paint the orientation of the charge pump cover or do just like you did by putting a mark on the cover and another corresponding mark on the transaxle.