Cub Cadet 5234d problems

/ Cub Cadet 5234d problems #1  

RVHobson

Tractor
Cub Cadet 5234d
I have owned a Cub Cadet 5234d for about 6 years. It has done a lot of heavy work; mowing, hauling heavy trailer about 1000 lbs, and landscaping with 48" box blade. I learned that I must always use 4WD doing heavy work to save the rear differential gears.

A seized U-joint in the primary shaft from engine to hydro transmission (Hydro-Gear BDU-21L-400) caused the hydro input shaft to shear off. After repair with new drive shaft (including U-joints) and input shaft, it worked about 100 hrs until recently the input shaft sheared off again. This time the drive shaft had been greased quite regularly, so U-joint should not have been the cause. Has this same thing happened to others?

I suspect the offset alignment of engine output and hydro input causes the U-joints to fatigue the input shaft. Has anyone tried using CV joints instead of U-joints on a primary drive shaft? Are there small CV joints available that can handle 3000+ rpm?

Should I repair it again, or just look for a replacement?

/ Cub Cadet 5234d problems #2  
I just had the same exact thing happen! I can't seem to find a new hydro gear or repair parts. Where/how did you get your repaired? The problem that I can see is that the input shaft is way undersized as opposed to the output shaft from the engine. I was just mowing when mine sheared off. Any help?

/ Cub Cadet 5234d problems #3  
were you ever able to find parts? i had the same thing happen to mine

/ Cub Cadet 5234d problems #4  
They will do that when you don't grease them you need to make
sure that all cups are getting greased.

willy

/ Cub Cadet 5234d problems #5  
I DON'T THINK ITS AN ALIGNMENT PROBLEM-RATHER THINK TWO REASONS, ONE BEING THE CROSS JOINT IS TOO SMALL TO STAND HIGH R-P-M-S ,AND MAKING SURE GREASE OOOZES FROM ALL FOUR CUPS--AT TIMES YOU MIGHT NEED TO ROTATE THE SHAFT AND TAP THE CAP UNTIL THE GREASE COMES THROUGH, A LITTLE HEAT [JUST A LITTLE NOW] THOSE NEEDLES IN THE CAP WHEN DRY WILL GET RED HOT AND SEIZE, THIS WILL SNAP THE PIN, THIS THROWS THE SHAFT OUT OF ALIGNMENT, WALA--- PROBLEM--THAT'S WHAT I'M UP TO AS WE SPEAK, ONLY I'M GOING TO TRY A RUBE GOLD BURG FIX, ILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I MAKE OUT. GREG.

/ Cub Cadet 5234d problems #6  
PERHAPS I SHOULD EXPLAIN, THIS TRACTOR WAS GIVEN TO ME BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT GET ANY ONE TO FIX IT, ITS LIKE NEW, I THINK THEY SAID IT IS A 2O15-- [HOW CAN I FIND OUT]

Attachments

• IMG_5011.JPG
    IMG_5011.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
   / Cub Cadet 5234d problems #7  
hi, looking to buy a cooling fan for a ser 5000 5234d tractor, mine broke when the drive shaft snapped off,thanks for the help- also looking for advice on replaceing input shaft on the hydro rear. Richard.

/ Cub Cadet 5234d problems #8  
I just picked up one of these tractors with a snapped off input shaft on the hydro pump, did you end up doing that repair? How did it go?