Cub Cadet 1450 motor

/ Cub Cadet 1450 motor #1  

mark1

Gold Member
Tractor
Jinma 284,Jd GT235,345,Trac-Vac1080
Hi Anyone ever done a "repower" on a Cub Cadet 1250,1450 or 1650? My ole 1450 engine has about had it.after 30+ years I rebuilt it,years ago. Now I'm tired of babying it.It runs ok,then slows down backfires a few times then it's ok for a little bit.I think it's valves. But it's hard to put out $1900 bucks for a new B&S repower kit.Or I need a used machine with a good motor.any ideas? Thanks

/ Cub Cadet 1450 motor #2  
I had the identical symptoms in my cub 1650 this weekend. It ran fine for a good while under load as I was grading the driveway. Then it started acting like it was gas starved and backfired. I have never had these problems before. Could it be gasoline related?

/ Cub Cadet 1450 motor #3  
To have them die down and then a backfire is often a coil or condenser The backfire is from a charge of fuel with no spark and then to regain spark and light the fuel.

Not to say they may not be weak engines but! Normally we won't rebuild a thrd time on those engines do to the cam getting to loose and causing to much noise.

/ Cub Cadet 1450 motor
I talked with a guy yesterday who has worked on a lot of cub engines. He thinks the "unleaded" fuel we now use has effected the valve guide clearances.making the valves stick. I thought it seemed like a valve problem too. Looks like a good winter job.

/ Cub Cadet 1450 motor #5  
A quick way to see would be to clean the engine with water! Take an old spray bottle and rinse out well, fill with water.

Bring the engine while warm up to about 1/3rd throttle and spray a mist into the carb. Don't stall it from to much water. This will normally clean all the carbon and ash deposits off the valves and pistons.

Then add upper cylinder lube into the gas and see what happens. Any way you look at it the backfire to me is the fuel missing the spark! It could be a sticky valve and the water should take care of it if it is.

/ Cub Cadet 1450 motor #6  
A little Marvel Mystery oil should help too........give it a try.........Don

/ Cub Cadet 1450 motor #7  
Thanks very much for the tips. My 1650 has been sitting in a moisture rich barn, and I'm thinking the moisture is affecting the coil and condensor. I have two others sitting in the barn with no spark at all and they were running fine when I parked them in the barn.