cub cadet 1250 rough start

/ cub cadet 1250 rough start #1  

grizzly186023

Tractor
cub cadet 1250
Bought 1250 about 5 years ago. Used every year to mow etc. I'm not a restorer, I use this beast every week. Lately when I turn key it turns over and seems to start to fire but is slamming real loud like its miss firing. After a maybe 15 seconds it catches and purr's like a kitten. Any ideas on what I can look at. Like i said it runs great from then on. Just bangs when starting up.

/ cub cadet 1250 rough start #2  
I would check the spark plug, maybe replace since they are not that expensive. I would also check the ignition points for burning, pits or gap. I don't have a service manual handy but they are probably set around .020 inch gap. I think that engine has ACR (Automatic Compression Relief) which is supposed to aid starting. There could be a problem with that.
Bob B.

/ cub cadet 1250 rough start
I would check the spark plug, maybe replace since they are not that expensive. I would also check the ignition points for burning, pits or gap. I don't have a service manual handy but they are probably set around .020 inch gap. I think that engine has ACR (Automatic Compression Relief) which is supposed to aid starting. There could be a problem with that.
Bob B.
Thanks Bob, I changed the plug. Haven't checked the points. I figured all the gaps etc. were good due to the fact it runs so smoothly after it starts. But I will check them when I can. I am very mechanically inclined and can tear stuff apart and fix etc. But not the best at things like ACR. haha. I will have to do some serious research on that. Thanks again for the suggestions.