CT335 Dead as a doornail

/ CT335 Dead as a doornail #1  

Omnipotent

Bronze Member
Time for a new game of stump the chump....me being the chump. First off, I've scanned quite a few threads around same topic, and none of those have helped to fix the issue.

Summary: yesterday tractor worked great, used for a few hours, went to crank up this morning....dash lights come on, glow plug goes out, turn key....nothing...might have heard a pop but not positive. Turn key to off position, turn back to on, no lights, no crank, no nothing. Figure battery dead as it's a 2017...pull out battery jump starter, 200amp cranking, nothing....pull out fluke meter, battery dead as dead can be, buy new battery. Install new battery, nothing...no lights, no crank. Check fuses under instrument panel, fuse 1 (20amp blown), replace and check remainder, all good. Turn key, nothing. Move to relays on FW, only one that made sense to check is ignition switch, bench tested with 9v battery and fluke meter, gate opens/closes, good tone across terminals when power supplied....50-someodd ohms when just jumping 86/87, deemed relay good (did not swap with any other relay for testing).
Checked battery cable connections to ensure no corrosion or break in contacts, all check out. Checked voltage at starter, 12 volts, checked 60 amp fuse at starter, again...ohm/tone test across posts, all good (don't know of a better way to test this type of fuse).

So that's where I'm at now....thought about the OCP....but don't think that would control power to idiot lights (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Any other ideas where to go from here? Several hours in and still have no clue what is going on.

Thanks

/ CT335 Dead as a doornail #2  
I guess you checked fuses? If you didn't, I would disconnect and clean the ground to battery cable where it grounds to tractor.

/ CT335 Dead as a doornail
Yep, all fuses checked.....I did replace battery and inspect cables....all appeared free of corrosion, tractor is under shelter when not in use, so not much corrosion.

Also, just pulled ignition/switch and tested it out....12 volts coming to switch and switch itself has continuity across all 3 posts.

Completely stumped at this point.

Winston, thanks for that thread....didn't see that one in my previous searches. Unfortunately, none of the "obvious" ones have fixed my issue, was really hoping that "timing" relay was the ticket, but alas still no juice.

I see from your posting of schematics that you have the service manual...question, is is specific to only one model? ie, does it have 335 wiring diagram? I grabbed the diagrams you put up, but think they were 225's if I'm not mistaken.

Lastly, did you buy your service manual online or did you buy the actual manual? I'm leery of buying online as some of the sites seem shady, so if you did buy the PDF, if you recall where you bought it that would be nice as well.

Thanks again.

/ CT335 Dead as a doornail #6  
Winston thanks for your feedback...this used to be a more active forum....guess the shiny new rubbed away :D

One more question...I see in the electrical schematic (found one for the 335) they reference the Starter Relay, but it's not mentioned in the Owners Manual....just the 4 on the FW and the 6 behind the instrument panel. Any idea where the starter relay is located on your 225? Might give me an idea of where to look, because I can't find it for the life of me.

/ CT335 Dead as a doornail #8  
Mine is a CT235, but thinking all 3 in manual have same locations as shown here.

Attachments

• 2022-05-31-063535.jpg
    2022-05-31-063535.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 116
Thanks....some things are different, because that location is my ignition relay...I think there is just some terrible language translations as the same relay's are referred differently in different text.

Oh well, I'll keep working it. I'm thinking it's a ground issue, but yet to find it. Thanks

/ CT335 Dead as a doornail #10  
Did you test the starter? Un hook it from the tractor and put 12v to it and see? Or the starter solenoid?