Coyotes

/ Coyotes #63  
Von,

Thanks for including the photos.

I love the cougar shot, ...looks like the coyote is at quite a disadvantage when it comes to "snowshoes".

When I think how dangerous our housecat is when he spreads out those 'fish-hooks', I hate to think of being grabbed by a BIG cat!

Quite a business-like look on both their faces.

That coyote sure better have the pedal-to-the-metal!

:)
Larry

/ Coyotes #64  
Must have the same strain of coyotes around here.

I used to hunt them for the fur, so I learned a little bit about them in the process. I used to hear people blame coyotes for losing livestock, but I have never personally seen a coyote (or pack of coyotes) show any interest at all in living livestock. I think people see a coyote munching on a dead cow and assume the coyote killed it. Mice seem to be their main diet around here, with the occasional rabbit thrown in for variety. They like to hunt what's easy to catch, and not likely to kill them in the attempt. They will scavenge, though, so a dead cow is looked upon as the proverbial free lunch.

As for packs, the only time one is likely to see a pack of coyotes around here is during February when they are mating. Otherwise, lone coyotes are the norm.

What I have seen attack livestock is packs of dogs. Myself and a friend used to have quite the reputation as the local 'bounty' hunters and we used to get requests to find out what was killing someone's livestock. In every instance, we found it to be dogs. They don't have to be wild dogs, either--many wore collars to their funerals.

Coyotes will do in pets, however. I think it's a territorial thing.

/ Coyotes #65  
Random ramblings...

In New Hampshire (growing up), we had "coydogs"... In reality, I suspect they were just coyotes... Game wardens would shoot dogs chasing deer on the spot.

Now, in CA, we have lots of coyotes... Lost two cats in about 6 years (one about 2 months ago, found half the carcass {head, ribcage, front legs} about 100 feet from the house). Not exactly sure what got the cats. We also have mountain lions... Both of the cats that got it were more laid back... We have two others that are a bit schizoid and they seem to do fine.

Often hear "packs" of coyotes yapping at night... Occasionally see loan animals during the day.

Apparently, (I saw a special the other night) coyotes are having a tough time of it in Yellowstone. The repopulation of the wolf is taking its toll! The wolf is a beautiful animal!

Billboe

/ Coyotes #66  
We still have the coyotes here in New Hampshire and they are like fles on a dog back...everywhere. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Coyotes #67  
<font color=blue>We still have the coyotes here in New Hampshire and they are like fles on a dog back...everywhere. </font color=blue>

Maybe you need a few wolves in NH! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Billboe

/ Coyotes #68  
Matter of fact the state talking about bring the wolves back,I think it would be a mistake...they should let mother nature do it.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Coyotes #69  
All kinds and varieties of gov't workers want to do things like this, as they get more federal and state funds to spend on foolish projects. Our tax dollars being wasted again. Big Gov't at work running our lives, not just protecting us from big gov't here and abroad.

/ Coyotes #70  
"... I think they should let mother nature do that."

That's the problem. Mother nature aint 'round no more. The coyotes no longer have a natural predator. Their foremost former predator, the american gray wolves are near extinction. (Not wanting to start a thread of species reintroduction and its attending controversy).

The only non-lead-based predator for the 'yotes' are BFGoodrich, Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear, Cooper, et. al. Not what any of us had in mind methinks.

Doug