Coyotes

/ Coyotes #51  
Eric,

Sounds like you aim is as good as mine /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JohnS

/ Coyotes #52  
for what it's worth- when I went to an electric fencing clinic this spring the owner had a good way of "sensitizing" the coyotes. Hang a strip of fresh bacon about nose height every 10 or 20 feet along the fence. Just add power and a coyote and you have mighty crispy bacon/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif He claimed it worked quite well.

Andy in NH

/ Coyotes #53  
Bird, that's a terrible but educational story. The horse must have been sick. I wouldnt have thought one or two dogs would stand a chance against a healthy adult horse. I wonder if they were lucky enough or clever enough to hamstring the horse to bring him down. You wouldnt think domesticated animals would know how to do that, though.

/ Coyotes #54  
Glenn, Dogs that are left to roam will often form a pack. They will attack and kill calves, I know. Two years ago a neighbor had three calves killed by a pack of dogs. They were all pets from around this area. He and I both caught them in the act.

Ernie

/ Coyotes #55  
glennmac, my horse had been sick (horse doctor we had then wasn't really a vet, but said it was "distemper"), but she seemed to be getting well. I don't know about the other horse. And I don't think those two dogs were "domesticated". Lots of people in the area were familiar with that pair and were trying to get a shot at them, but they were wild as any coyote.

Bird

/ Coyotes #56  
Richard,

Thank you for the offer of horse education. I certainly will take you up on it.

/ Coyotes #57  
Here in Michigan, you can shoot coyotes from Mid-April until Mid-July with a license. If you are a land owner, they are never off limits on your property if they are doing any type of damage. If it's legal, it's been regulated by the state DNR. Check with the DNR if you wonder whther or not you should shoot them. It wouldn't be legal if the DNR didn't want the population controlled.

I've recently heard some coyotes at night around my place, and as a concidence I'm short 2 chickens. You can be sure that with all the animals in the area people own, the coyotes won't be howling much longer.

/ Coyotes #58  
I dunno, folks ... either we had/have pretty wussy coyotes in northern Alberta ... or I just had a whole 'nother experience. In 8 years of living with 2 packs on coyotes in close proximity ... no one I knew ever lost a calf ... neither of my free roaming dogs were ever bothered, the mouse and rabbit population was kept pretty well in check and, yes, I did find tracks right beside the house in the snow in winter.
I guess maybe they appreciated my attitude of wanting to live with nature instead of against it enough to treat me kindly ...

too bad that common sense ain't

/ Coyotes #59  
This has been an interesting read. Growing up in South Dakota and growing up on the farm, whenever a calf was lost or a sheep, Dad would call the Game Warden. He would come and look things over and the tracks and such. He always made the comment that Coyotes kill to eat and dogs kill to kill. If an aminal is dead but no eating, you can bet that it was dogs. Coyotes get blamed for alot of things they do not do. If your area has lots of rabbits, coyotes will not risk going after aminals as large or larger, they are too smart. Instead of shooting coyotes just because you see them, if you shoot dogs left roaming your problems will decrease.

Dan L

/ Coyotes #60  
Earlier in this posting I read that coyotes do not fear man. I would have to disagree. Wolves and coyotes fear man...thats why they stay away from us. They attack a 1200 lb horse but not a 180lb man????Dogs, for the most part , do not fear man. Thats why you hear/see dog attacks a human and not coyote attacks. I have chased coyotes on my bicycle and dirt bikes but have been chased by dogs on both. Even worse, is when you cross breed a dog with a wolve or coyote. It might give you a wolve or coyote that does not fear man.
A Jack Ass is a great guard of live stock and they eat the same type food. I have been reading a lot about guard Jacks / Jenny's. Seems to work for those who have them.

As far as size...Its not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog (or coyote) Killing is their business and business is good.