COYOTES

/ COYOTES #181  
We have lots around here.
They cycle in and out.
This area has very limited deer so they are dependant on the small critters. It seams they stay in the area until they deplete the good hunting and then move on for a month or more until the waskly wabbits and others return in numbers.
They provide a natural control on the other nuisance animals. Also down the street on the cat lady's darlings.
Fairly frequently I'll have one follow the tractor when I'm cultivating or mowing in the hopes that I'll spook out some game.
They don't bother me, I don't bother them. If they start getting too daring I'll fire a couple bird bangers their way just to maintain our space.
They're just trying to earn a living.
It does raise the hair on the neck when they start to howl at night in the back yard.

/ COYOTES #182  
It does raise the hair on the neck when they start to howl at night in the back yard
I enjoy hearing them sound off though... unless they are up by my henhouse. I've probably mentioned before that I've been out working and sensed something was around but didn't really see or hear anything. Upon backtracking I found coyote tracks in mine... less than 75 feet from where I had been standing. They dogged me that way all morning, I must have been kicking rabbits out to them.

/ COYOTES #183  
I enjoy hearing them sound off though... unless they are up by my henhouse. I've probably mentioned before that I've been out working and sensed something was around but didn't really see or hear anything. Upon backtracking I found coyote tracks in mine... less than 75 feet from where I had been standing. They dogged me that way all morning, I must have been kicking rabbits out to them.
Oh hell yea,they alllllll wayysss do that.

/ COYOTES #184  
We have way too many deer, so the Coyote here is not going to starve.
He does seem small, wonder how many are actually around.

/ COYOTES #185  
That is a big difference between coyotes, wolves and cougars. Cougars and wolves can kill just for practice, or maybe fun, I am not sure which. Coyotes tend to only kill what they will eat.
Hogwash, coyotes will attack a herd and may injure 4-10 sheep, which die a day or 2 later and partially consume 1 or 2 when they had all the opportunity in the world to eat the entire animal. No, they are not strong enough to kill hundreds of sheep like wolves do, but they can do plenty of damage in their own right. The sheep in the picture was still alive after this attack and had to be euthanized.
Sheep.jpg

/ COYOTES #187  
Hogwash, coyotes will attack a herd and may injure 4-10 sheep, which die a day or 2 later and partially consume 1 or 2 when they had all the opportunity in the world to eat the entire animal. No, they are not strong enough to kill hundreds of sheep like wolves do, but they can do plenty of damage in their own right. The sheep in the picture was still alive after this attack and had to be euthanized.
View attachment 786137

You need a couple of these.

Attachments

• Lilly and Lion.JPG
    Lilly and Lion.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 55
   / COYOTES
There is a Basque fellow - lives about 40 miles south of me here. He has great flocks of sheep - and few Great Pyrenees. He also has, at least, a couple donkeys.

/ COYOTES #189  
We hunted deer in an area of SW Texas where 75% of pastureland is for sheep. Ranchers belong to a co-op which retains a professional trapper. A reported coyote or Bobcat sighting resulted in the trapper dogging their tail until captured. Raptors were shot on site and co-op lawyer filed papers to exempt shooter from prosecution on the grounds it was harming sheep. We refrained from using dogs to hunt Scaled Quail due to how much poison was out in attempt to control the insane rat and mouse population. I've farmed and raised livestock all my life and approve of killing creatures that pose a serious threat to one's livelihood but that shouldn't justify scorched earth. I attempted engaging conversation with locals about the trade offs of such concentrated measures but they were set on it. If the choice is increased price of a commodity due to predation or lower cost commodity at the expense of upsetting nature's balance, I'll choose the former.

/ COYOTES #190  
If the choice is increased price of a commodity due to predation or lower cost commodity at the expense of upsetting nature's balance, I'll choose the former.
There was a time when that wasn’t the case… it really was us or the predators. The scales have tipped though and many are seeing it the same as you do. I know that my viewpoints have changed. My father had a war on woodchucks all of his life and would kill every animal he could. As time went on though he got so he’d live trap and release tblhem for somebody else to deal with.

After he passed away 5 years ago I told my mother they weren’t hurting anything; she doesn’t have a garden, and the property will likely be sold and subdivided when she is done with it. It hasn’t taken long for the population to thrive.