COYOTES

/ COYOTES #201  
Good housekeeping practices minimize the risks to horses. ;)
That sounds familiar. My dad was a veterinarian and he was always telling horse owners they could dramatically reduce health issues by practicing better hygiene. Keep manure picked up, cleaning the utensils used to handle food and water, and keeping the containers clean. Good animal husbandry.

He was usually talking to what he would call the "week-end" horse owners. I was kinda young at the time and wasn't sure what he meant, but i did know i liked the weekends because there were cartoons on Saturday and Sunday was Disney.

/ COYOTES #202  
Well - poo. Over a month and still no airplane - no shooter. I have later found out that this "operation" has little to do with the government. The "operation" has the approval of the government. It's a local crop sprayer and a friend as the shooter. Flying in the temps we have had lately - in an open cockpit aircraft - would not be my idea of fun. Maybe it will happen in warmer weather.

AND - I've always found that my 30-30 is plenty fast enough for varmints around here. It's not so much the gun as the abilities of the person using the gun.
My go to for varmints was 22LR, but my 30-30 was what i took on round-ups when collecting calves or moving cattle up to or out of the high country. It was more of a brush gun, short with open sights. I actually didn't need it often but did use it mostly on dogs running the cattle. Felt bad about that, but cattle are expensive and i didn't shoot unless the rancher gave the go ahead. I rarely missed unless the dog took an unexpected turn or stopped running abruptly.

/ COYOTES #203  
Well - poo. Over a month and still no airplane - no shooter. I have later found out that this "operation" has little to do with the government. The "operation" has the approval of the government. It's a local crop sprayer and a friend as the shooter. Flying in the temps we have had lately - in an open cockpit aircraft - would not be my idea of fun. Maybe it will happen in warmer weather.

AND - I've always found that my 30-30 is plenty fast enough for varmints around here. It's not so much the gun as the abilities of the person using the gun.
That's cool and all, but a 22-250 or a 204 dumps all of it's energy in the critter. Not spilling energy wastefully on the side of the hill or ground. It's not "fast" so you can hit them. It's fast so you can turn them off like a switch and not overpenetrate and go off somewhere that doesn't need a bullet traveling through it.

/ COYOTES #204  
That's cool and all, but a 22-250 or a 204 dumps all of it's energy in the critter. Not spilling energy wastefully on the side of the hill or ground. It's not "fast" so you can hit them. It's fast so you can turn them off like a switch and not overpenetrate and go off somewhere that doesn't need a bullet traveling through it.

wow the velocity of these two guns is crazy ... I though 17 hmr had a high velocity.

/ COYOTES #206  
I like the velocity of my 22-250. I primarily use it for busting bean bears (prairie dogs), but it works a nice treat on coyotes. With the 50 gr Vmax, I think it's about varmint perfection. Even on the little bean bears, the bullet comes apart on impact. On something like a coyote, the bullet comes apart in the body and does epic levels of tissue damage. Added benefit is I very rarely get an exit and even if I do, the bullet is in particles. I like it more than my 243, until the range gets out there quite a ways. Then the 243 gets the nod, mostly due to our near constant winds out here.

/ COYOTES #207  
Around the place I hunt you are lucky to see 100 yds let alone a clear shot that far. Most of my deer are well within 50 many less than 20. 30-30 or 35 rem is all I drag into the woods. If I stay within my xbow ranges those will more than get it done as would the bow.
Drawback is that when I do have something to shoot over 100, I tend to pass out of habit.

/ COYOTES #208  
Around the place I hunt you are lucky to see 100 yds let alone a clear shot that far. Most of my deer are well within 50 many less than 20. 30-30 or 35 rem is all I drag into the woods. If I stay within my xbow ranges those will more than get it done as would the bow.
Drawback is that when I do have something to shoot over 100, I tend to pass out of habit.
I still have one of each of those. Both are in a Contender handgun. More that enough oomph for deer at reasonable ranges. I like the Sierra gameking in 150 gr for the 30-30 and the 200 gr round nose Hornady in the 35 Rem. Being single shots, I can load pointed bullets in the 30-30 without concerns. Both are 200 yard guns (with scopes) but I too would like to stay inside of 100.

/ COYOTES #209  
Similar tack -- 150 for 30-30 and 200 for the 35. Since they are both 336 Marlins I stick with flat or round nose. Thick woods and steep country makes you stay close. I can get a 100+ shot over a holler but then it is 300+ yd walk down and back up and no promise you can get to the kill (or find it in places). Easier let them get close and then drive the ATV to load. I'm too old to drag one up a 100 foot "cliff".

/ COYOTES #210  
My last few have been on the lawn (30-50 yards) and drive the tractor over to pick them up and hang.
It's not really hunting, it's more like harvesting.