COYOTES

/ COYOTES #91  
Reminds me of a story one of the neighboring ranchers told me; he was out helping another rancher in the back of beyond, when the owner saw a coyote. The owner whipped out his gun and shot at the coyote, missing by a mile. The coyote hightailed it away. My friend said as far as he knew the owner had never managed to hit one, but the coyotes generally stayed away, since they all had experience with the owner. 😆

/ COYOTES #92  
A dead coyote learns and teaches nothing. A live but missed one learns and teaches others..

Bruce

/ COYOTES #93  
A dead coyote learns and teaches nothing. A live but missed one learns and teaches others..

Bruce
Where you you come up with such conclusions ? If you went out and never came home, do you think your family would not notice ? If your body was found at the front gate, you dont think they would conclude that some great danger is lurking out there ? What if your brother had been standing right next to you when it happened ? That would make no impression on him? Jeez O Pete... Killing coyotes and leaving them lay is the best lesson the pack can learn and someone else is going to have to take on the alpha role with less experience, thus weakening the pack.

/ COYOTES #94  
Yes, with those conditions a dead one teaches others.

Most of my experience has been with seeming "loner" coyotes in the SW desert. Not until I moved to SW WA did I ever see or hear families or packs.

Bruce

Last edited:
   / COYOTES #95  
Its annoying when people are going to lecture others who have in fact sat out in freezing pre-dawn conditions for hours, waiting for the coyotes to show up and have seen the reaction in their behavior after their leader is killed in front of them. Here in the midwest with our super suspicious coyotes I would typically only see one for every 6-7 trips to the field before dawn. At night its a different story because they feel safe, but its much harder for me to be sure of whats behind them, so not ideal even with Gen 3 night vision equipment.

/ COYOTES #96  
Most of my experience has been with seeming "loner" coyotes in the SW desert. Not until I moved to SW WA did I ever see or hear families or packs.

Bruce
No loners here. We hear a chorus of coyotes howling every few nights. Sounds like a half dozen voices, occasionally more.

But that racket is far more frequent than any known killing of chickens, housecats, etc which might be 1 or two in a year.

The little rabbit who timidly hangs around the barn here seems like an obvious coyote snack but he's still around. Hopefully most of the diet for local coyotes is gophers.

/ COYOTES #97  
I find lectures a lot less annoying than "sitting out in freezing pre-dawn conditions for hours, waiting for the coyotes to show up only seeing one for every 6-7 trips to the field before dawn."
If nothing surfaces after 30 minutes calling I move on and if there's no action after 3 or 4 set ups I cut my loses by going to do something else then try later with different calls. I haven't damaged the population over the past 10 years as much as my Grandson and the hired hand. Every year about this time during breeding season they keep rifles in reach while plowing and feeding to pick them off crossing open ground during daylight. I assume those are alphas but I'd never considered the difference in consequences between killing them and others but it makes sense. Maybe I should contribute to their silencer and thermal fund to up the odds of getting both animals and really upsetting the pack's apple cart.

/ COYOTES #98  
Open season here, 24-7-365 and I use a 22-250 with an ATN nigh vision scope from the back deck. Pelts aren't worth squat anymore so I let them lay and their 'brothers' eat them. Recycling at it's best.

/ COYOTES #99  
Open season here, 24-7-365 and I use a 22-250 with an ATN nigh vision scope from the back deck. Pelts aren't worth squat anymore so I let them lay and their 'brothers' eat them. Recycling at it's best.
Same here in IL, open season on them year round. I see them all the time but only one time took shot at one, when I cought him in the act with one of my ducks in his mouth.

/ COYOTES
Just this morning I heard the "coyote version" of Cool Water. Almost as good as the Sons of the Pioneers.