Couple questions about trail grading, and hydraulic top links/top and tilt

/ Couple questions about trail grading, and hydraulic top links/top and tilt #1  

bridge4

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638. Scag 61 V-ride.
So I have some walking trails through the woods that I recently cleared. Most of it is flat, with a few areas that could use some smoothing out. There are also a fair amount of shallow roots and very small stumps (2-3 inch) on the trail that I'd like to rip up so people don't trip. I wasn't sure if a box blade, land plane w/rippers or just a rear blade would be best for this, I was leaning towards the land plane if it would work since I could then use it on my gravel driveways. Any recommendations, advice or tips would be appreciated.

For the hydraulic top link, I have seen the fitrite stuff and I know a member on here is the creator. I understand what it does, but not 100% sure of the implications once I instal one.

So I have 2 rear spools on my 2638, the idea was be able to use hydraulics on a rear blower/blower chute, and maybe even do a top and tilt kit, for previously mentioned trails and driveway. The question is, if I have a top and tilt and top link using my spools, I'm assuming I can't use a hydraulic blower chute and would have to go electric?

Is there any downsides to this? My main uses for my 3pt would be grading/road building and snowblowing in winter. I am new to all this and hydraulics and this is a new world to me, I am slowly wrapping my head around things but have a long way to go.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

/ Couple questions about trail grading, and hydraulic top links/top and tilt #2  
You don't need a tilt cylinder for a blower.
Just unhook the tilt cylinder hoses and plug your blower chute into that remote when using the blower.

/ Couple questions about trail grading, and hydraulic top links/top and tilt
You don't need a tilt cylinder for a blower.
Just unhook the tilt cylinder hoses and plug your blower chute into that remote when using the blower.

Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like I'm worried about nothing with that?

/ Couple questions about trail grading, and hydraulic top links/top and tilt #4  
For any type of grading etc. work...there is not another single modification that will save you more time than a hydraulic top link...it will also greatly reduce learning curves on most grading blades/attachments etc...

Depending on the implement buing used...generally a top link (side link too) if it has check valves can be set then disconnected freeing up your rear remotes (spools)...

IMO you are going to need scarifiers to rip up root and small stumps...with T&T a box blade is one of the most versatile multi tasking implements ever invented for grading and light earth work etc...

Good Luck...

/ Couple questions about trail grading, and hydraulic top links/top and tilt #5  
I blow a lot of snow, and ditto on using the ports for the chute rotate. I set my chute wide open manually, and leave it there, so I do not have a reason for that function. I do a lot of trails, and have a FitRite tilt cyl on two of my tractors. Use that for crowning or flattening a side hill trail from side to side, never have had a need to have the top link cyl adjust function. Do not have a box blade, which probably might need the adjustable top link more than most implements . Use a couple home made drags, and a land plane plus rake from Everythingattachments. Do the rough clearing with a backhoe, rear blade, or landplane... after that the rake and drags keep the trails up to snuff.... Do use a front blade sometimes in the fall to push leaves off when they are deep enough.... the big pile of leaves just sliding in front of the blade does a good trail clearing job, too....

/ Couple questions about trail grading, and hydraulic top links/top and tilt #6  
A top cylinder lets you adjust the box blade's angle of attack from the seat. The angle determines how aggressively it cuts into the ground. It's a very useful feature.
The tilt cylinder lets you cut at an angle to the tractor. I use it much less often than the tilt when box blading.

You can unplug the tilt or both when running the blower. Or you can run one of the valves through a diverter, which would let you operate one cylinder at a time. Or you can add more valves.

/ Couple questions about trail grading, and hydraulic top links/top and tilt
Thanks everyone for the responses, this clears up a lot of my confusion!

/ Couple questions about trail grading, and hydraulic top links/top and tilt #8  
...The tilt cylinder lets you cut at an angle to the tractor. I use it much less often than the tilt when box blading....
I am just the opposite when working on our mountain gravel lanes...I am constantly adjusting the side link to keep the full length of the cutting edge of the blade in contact...if I do not make said adjustments one side of the blade will often be up to a few inches above and the other side cutting too deeply...as the curving hilly lanes change to keep the runoff moving into the ditches etc...

/ Couple questions about trail grading, and hydraulic top links/top and tilt #9  
For any type of grading etc. work...there is not another single modification that will save you more time than a hydraulic top link...it will also greatly reduce learning curves on most grading blades/attachments etc...

Depending on the implement being used...generally a top link (side link too) if it has check valves can be set then disconnected freeing up your rear remotes (spools)...

I saved my fixed side link and put that on in place of my hydraulic side link when using my snow blower, freeing up the hydraulics for my chute rotation. No need for tilt with my snow blower, and no concerns about my cylinder leaking down.

/ Couple questions about trail grading, and hydraulic top links/top and tilt #10  
I would not try to use a land plane for clearing stumps and roots from your trails. Lowering the rippers on a box blade would be a better way to go, but even then, it will be slow going unless the roots and stumps have been dead a while.