Country Music

/ Country Music #21  
Haha! You guys are showing your age!

Nah...we just listen to golden oldies...

Actually, I was 13 when Dave Dudley came out with "6 Days on the Road"..."Walk On By" came out around the same time (plus or minus a year or two)

/ Country Music #22  
Nah...we just listen to golden oldies...

Actually, I was 13 when Dave Dudley came out with "6 Days on the Road"..."Walk On By" came out around the same time (plus or minus a year or two)

Hmmm. Webb Pierce came out with "He's in the Jailhouse Now" when I was in high school. Now THAT was the golden age of country music. :)

/ Country Music
Wow- pretty good response, glad I'm not the only one. Actually some of the new people I like- "I'm a little more country than that" for example. but I started listening to it in the mid eighties and that is the stuff I like. My cable channel (Comcast) has a good 80's, 90's option-don't have that in the barn though.:laughing:

/ Country Music #24  
I used to never turn the radio off in the car; now I never turn it on. I see some talking about LeRoy Van Dyke's Walk on By and that was a good one. Just last night I listened to his Auctioneer Song on YouTube. Country singers of the '50s to '80s had a talent. It seems that most now only have a gimmick. Now of course some gimmicks are not bad.:laughing: I also listened to Roy Clark's The Great Pretender last night and another of his that was a favorite of mine, Thank God and Greyhound You're Gone.:laughing:

/ Country Music #25  
But... it has given us several hits about Tractors.

See thinks my Tractor's Sexy is one ;-)

/ Country Music #26  
Funny, I do not care for the "Pop 40" "Country" played on the radio for the most part. Sometimes, it sounds like I am hear more "Pop", and even "screaming guitar hard rock".

I tend to prefer older country.

But at the same time, look at some of the artists and what they did. I was listening to some Bob Will's this weekend. The song "Ida Red" was the base for Chuck Berry's "Maybeline". Some of Bob's stuff was definitely blues, jazz, and rockabilly. Some stuff going back to the '30's was definite rock and roll. No wonder he is in the Rock and roll Hall of Fame...

Listening to Patsy Cline. Now there is THE Country Queen! OMG! She did plenty of cross-over to Pop though, and a little swing/rockabilly. Not to mention when she passed, she was with Hankshaw and Cowboy Copas, both great country artist. Who also played some good rockabilly...

And Waylon, well he was one of Buddy Holly's Crickets, an amazing country star and rebel, and could rock with the best of them.

I dunno. So hard to criticize current music, when even so many years ago, the classic artists crossed over, and influenced other music so much.

I still dont care for Pop-40 country on the radio though. Fortunately, can find classic sounds on the computer; like KVMR in Grass Valley, has Bluegrass and Classic type country shows a couple times a week. Lot of local public radio stations do that.

Now I think I'm gonna put on some "Red Knuckles and the Trailblasers....

/ Country Music #27  
That's cause they don't play good country on Pop-40 country stations...

Have to look at youtube. Or search on local pubic radio stations web sites; some have classic country shows that they webcast. Pandora, Sirius and others have some good classic country shows.

The current bands that play in the classic style just dont get the airtime on the "New Country" stations. Heck, the "New Country" station in Sacramento will play something from the 90's, like they fug it up from a treasure vault!

That station actually made a spin-off station that played classic style country. People really liked it, but the market was too small; they were not profitable...

I used to never turn the radio off in the car; now I never turn it on. I see some talking about LeRoy Van Dyke's Walk on By and that was a good one. Just last night I listened to his Auctioneer Song on YouTube. Country singers of the '50s to '80s had a talent. It seems that most now only have a gimmick. Now of course some gimmicks are not bad.:laughing: I also listened to Roy Clark's The Great Pretender last night and another of his that was a favorite of mine, Thank God and Greyhound You're Gone.:laughing:

/ Country Music #28  
Haha! You guys are showing your age! I can guarantee this same issue has been going on since the beginning of time! Growing up, I listened to rock and roll (aka devil music). Kids today listen to rap (aka thug music). My grandparents (born in the late 1800's) didn't like the music my parents listened to (I remember grandpa saying - they just keep repeating the same words over and over).

Go back 6000 years. I can hear it now -"when I was young, we pounded rocks together and chanted - now that was music. Today all the kids want to do is bang sticks on hollow logs and clap. That ain't music"

Fortunately for me - I appreciate most all music styles. I do quite a bit of driving and I have been known to put the radio on scan for ten minutes till I find a song that suites me at that time. Might end up listening to gospel, classical, jazz, classic rock, old country, new country, or something current. Used to think Eminem was terrible - but he does have a few songs that I kinda enjoy the artistry in his music.

Glad I'm not the only one.

It's been said that when we turn 40 they stop making good music (tv shows, movies, etc.).

I like a lot of today's country...the fact that today's artists were influenced as much by rock as as anything else is no big deal...I grew up with rock & roll myself. I personally find it hard to listen to the old-school stuff.

Sure country music has changed, then again country life has changed too.

Heck, the "New Country" station in Sacramento will play something from the 90's, like they fug it up from a treasure vault!

That station actually made a spin-off station that played classic style country. People really liked it, but the market was too small; they were not profitable...

Well, that should tell you something. Couldn't have been too many people who liked it or else they'd still be around.

Don't forget that 1992 was 20 years ago! Time flies when you're having fun. Many of the listeners to that "new country" station were probably still in high school then!
"Oldies" stations don't play Chuck Berry anymore either.

/ Country Music #29  
Funny, I do not care for the "Pop 40" "Country" played on the radio for the most part. Sometimes, it sounds like I am hear more "Pop", and even "screaming guitar hard rock".

I tend to prefer older country.

But at the same time, look at some of the artists and what they did. I was listening to some Bob Will's this weekend. The song "Ida Red" was the base for Chuck Berry's "Maybeline". Some of Bob's stuff was definitely blues, jazz, and rockabilly. Some stuff going back to the '30's was definite rock and roll. No wonder he is in the Rock and roll Hall of Fame...

Listening to Patsy Cline. Now there is THE Country Queen! OMG! She did plenty of cross-over to Pop though, and a little swing/rockabilly. Not to mention when she passed, she was with Hankshaw and Cowboy Copas, both great country artist. Who also played some good rockabilly...

And Waylon, well he was one of Buddy Holly's Crickets, an amazing country star and rebel, and could rock with the best of them.

I dunno. So hard to criticize current music, when even so many years ago, the classic artists crossed over, and influenced other music so much.

I still dont care for Pop-40 country on the radio though. Fortunately, can find classic sounds on the computer; like KVMR in Grass Valley, has Bluegrass and Classic type country shows a couple times a week. Lot of local public radio stations do that.

Now I think I'm gonna put on some "Red Knuckles and the Trailblasers....

Wow! Bob Wills...I met him in person in about 1943. He was playing in the middle of the street in Pawhuska Oklahoma. I was about 5 years old; my Dad took me up to the gazebo and I got to shake hands with him. I was very impressed; in those days, I was an only child, not in school, living way out in the boonies, so I listened to a lot of radio. Lots of CW music, not to mention Stella Dallas, One Man's Family, Backstage Wife, etc.

/ Country Music #30  
I can't listen to the stuff any more and at one time, it was all I listened to. It grates my nerves now and what's with the latest batch of theses little voices wearing hats down to their ears making them look absolutely ridiculous or looking as crumby as they sound at any rate.