Coulter for disc hiller

/ Coulter for disc hiller #1  

UncleW

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 26 xl
I’ll post a build thread (if it works) but I’m building a 3 point toolbar hiller to mound up soil around my vineyard rows to protect vines from winter injury. I have most of it built, but I’m stumped on this bit

There are dual hillers on the right side of the tractor because the rows arent uniform enough to do both sides of a row at once without wiping out the vines on the other side. I knew going in that the tractor tends to steer into the row from the drag of the hillers on just the right side

The design I stole calls for a coulter to run on the centerline of the 3 pt to reduce the torque on the tractor. It’s supposed to dig into the soil and counteract the torque

But I’m having trouble figuring out how to buy or fab the coulter without spending a ton of $.

I thought of buying a 1 3/16” blanton hub and putting a coulter on it, but the bolt circles dont match. And ArgiSupply, etc dont seem to sell just the hiller shaft and hub. Could buy a complete hiller/shaft/hub and throw away the hiller disc, but the cost goes up. Before I kludge something up, I thought I’d ask if anybody has any ideas

The coulter doesnt need to be angled so I could just weld an axle onto 2” square tubing, but I’d need to get a hub. Any ideas how to do this on the cheap?
IMG_2534.png

/ Coulter for disc hiller #2  
I'll follow along because I used to raise grapes and strawberries about 15 years ago. Shared more with the birds than I got to eat or sell. Had a 100-year freeze that wiped out everything here in South Texas. I don't do wine, so I never got back into it. That's good because we had another record freeze in 2021 and lost electric for a week. No one is safe. :cry:

You don't mention where you are, but I can't figure out how they grow grapes up North. I left Ohio going on 30 years ago. Burrrrrrr. ☃️

/ Coulter for disc hiller
Palisade, CO about 250 miles west of Denver. Lots of growers here. I grow Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. I have about 1/2 mile of vine row. Not enough vines to make money, but plenty of work to keep me amused. I get a 1 1/2 to 2 tons of grapes if the winter doesn’t kill em. High desert here, so we have 100F summers, but an occasional arctic blast will kill off the buds and/or vines

I’m 72 yo and severed my sciatic nerve in an accident last winter, so I needed to figure out a way to weed, hill up vines, etc that doesnt require as much hard labor as I was doing.

If my toolbar idea works, I’ll build a contraption to weed my vine rows during the growing season. We have free range chickens, geese, goats who love to eat prunings, etc so I’m trying not to use herbicides

/ Coulter for disc hiller #4  
3 point mounted cultivators for corn rows had straight colters for the exact purpose you describe. These typically were U-bolt mounted to the main beam. Not sure if there are any farm equipment bone yards in your area since around here almost no one cultivates anymore. All chemicals for weed control

/ Coulter for disc hiller #6  
I'm following; built a 3 point frame, and looked at using Kulivator hiller parts on a it, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Had everything in my cart, but shipping was going to drive the price up quite a bit,

/ Coulter for disc hiller #7  
   / Coulter for disc hiller #9  
Check out local farm auctions. Sometimes you might find the exact parts you want, otherwise pick up an old plow to strip off the parts.

/ Coulter for disc hiller #10  
I use a few 3 furrow plows but never on virgin sod. I took my coulters off and never use them. Sitting in the barn somewhere.