Could our small farm go all electric?

/ Could our small farm go all electric? #41  
We're completely off grid (because there is no grid near us) and I can tell you that I had to go out and pull the snow off our panels with each snowfall this past winter. During winter our panels are at 65 degrees and it isn't enough slope for the snow to come off by itself. Perhaps at your higher latitude the winter angle would be enough for the snow to fall off.

In any case you'll probably want a nice long extendable handle that you can attach a big squeegee just to be safe.

/ Could our small farm go all electric? #42  
We're completely off grid (because there is no grid near us) and I can tell you that I had to go out and pull the snow off our panels with each snowfall this past winter. During winter our panels are at 65 degrees and it isn't enough slope for the snow to come off by itself. Perhaps at your higher latitude the winter angle would be enough for the snow to fall off.

In any case you'll probably want a nice long extendable handle that you can attach a big squeegee just to be safe.

Don't want to send this off-topic but Pwright - do you mind outlining your setup there? What size solar array, how big is your house, I'm assuming you must use batteries to store the power, how big, how long will they provide power if you have weather limiting the charging capacity? I've been curious about the whole concept myself for a while.

Thanks, E.

/ Could our small farm go all electric? #43  
Gotta add my two cents worth here: We are located in Maryland, much south of the OP, but we still can have considerable snowfall. We installed a 3.1KW PV system about 6 years ago, not ideally situated because the panels would have benefited from more angle, (barn roof determined that) and neighboring woodlots shade the panels in the winter, when the sun is low. The two of us live with modest electrical uses, but we aren't sacrificing anything, except an electric clothes drier that sits unused. Cooking and hot water come from propane. Our annual electric bill is very nominal. Surplus in the summer, usage in the winter. I should add that my wife's car is a plug-in Prius. Ideal for her 9 mile commute, where she plugs in at work. That works out to about 150 MPG average fuel economy. Sure, all that electricity comes from generation, but power plants are incredibly more efficient and cleaner than point of usage in vehicles, and a lot of that comes from our PV system. Tax and renewable energy credits are a way to help encourage alternative power generation, and those companies that offer to install systems on your property "can" be legitimate- they get paid back on your electric usage and the credit income, you benefit from reduced rates. We thought about a battery storage system, but we have reliable electric, and no cost benefits at all beyond what we now have. I need to operate a big air compressor or table saw, and they consume power.
P1000501.jpgP1010134.jpg

Anyone who thinks coal extraction companies don't get subsidies and handouts is not informed, and power plants don't get built as stand-alone profit ventures- there is massive government involvement and protections. If you follow extreme weather patterns that are affecting more and more of our country, and the world, you get an inkling of what climate change is going to be like. Talk to Miami Beach residents about sea level change, if you have the stomach. I saw NY's Sandy Beach after the destruction there, and consider that yet another example.

I have a bit of experience with electric boats, having worked for ELCO (Electric Launch Co.) in the 90's. Their main product were 30' battery powered "picnic" boats, basically the same thing that the wealthy had 100 years ago at their summer homes on Lake George in Upstate NY- ots of mahogany and polished brass. Modern controls and motors, but massive lead acid batteries. They would operate all day, so they weren't/aren't a toy, but that said, they were boats, moving not so fast in water. I doubt if an electric powered tractor would be of any use in actually doing any work on land. Diesel engines, a necessary evil, if you will, work so well I can't think of an option that makes sense. Draft animals- nope... too much trouble, feed, methane. Electric- nope. Human stoop labor- nope. A 500 gal. fuel storage tank will last a long time with the proper additives, and there you go.

/ Could our small farm go all electric? #44  
The solar in the field was just an idea to provide power to a shipping container(s) where I could store equipment and have a small shop to avoid having to run electric to it from the house which would be at least 140 yards or so. No intention of juice going the other direction. If I did solar at the house I have a south facing sunny roof that would suffice.

Thanks. Yours and others concerns on the viability of electric for farming are welcome and noted, though I will continue to research and stick with the idea for a bit. One option would be to try out the electric UTV for a couple of seasons and go ahead and buy a tractor later if it doesn't work out. Have you had a chance to checkout the video I linked to re the Intimidator?

OK on the power shipping containers, I didn't get that. The Intimidator looks pretty awesome. We have a Gator XUV which gets a lot of ridiculously short trips (carrry a load of tools/supplies from our shop to the house, for example) and an electric would be perfect for that.

/ Could our small farm go all electric? #45  
Went to Intimidator's website looking for detailed charging information, couldn't find anything. Our shop's PV system has eight L16 batteries, I was wondering how much of their capacity would be used to charge an Intimidator at night. In reality I would start a charge during the day, but during a storm, or in a pinch...

/ Could our small farm go all electric? #46  
Weather is no more extreme than it ever was. It's just that there now somebody, everywhere to video every little thing that happens with a smart phone and sent the info world wide in seconds.
Used to be a tornado would flatten houses the next county over and we would never hear about it. Now a doghouse tipped over in a wind storm makes the news.
in fact the actual numbers of tornadoes are down.

/ Could our small farm go all electric? #47  
Wow! Extreme weather. Not! Don't get me started on the global warming hoax, oops, climate change now that the warming part has been totally proven as a non event. Much easier to convince the sheepell that the climate is going to change for the worse..... Shutting down all the coal fired electric plants is driving up the electric bill very fast and at a time when out electric usage is going up..... Brownouts and blackouts way before we meet from all that global warming! Solar and wind power will only make up a little of the shortfall....
My local utility coop is jest about finished with the first solar array in the state. Will supposedly power 200 homes.... Maybe, and we are where sun shines almost every day. They have announced an increase in rates that they say is 4% maybe overall, but it looks like mine would be more like 20%. Politics and taxes!

/ Could our small farm go all electric? #49  
I think it is 12k before add-ons like winch, etc.

Wow! Even more impressive. MSRP on the newest Polaris Ranger EV (basic, plain version) is about $14k. I'd definitely consider it strongly over a Polaris if I was buying new. My only worry would be dealer network/support/long-term parts availability.