Could our small farm go all electric?

/ Could our small farm go all electric? #31  
As an option if you're serious about being "off the grid" - you mentioned you have a fair number of streams/rivers on the property? Any large enough (doesn't have to be that large) to run a generator? Water as a source of power is great given it's constant and not effected (as much!) by weather. The other consideration is often it's more financially logical to sell the electricity back to the grid and pay for what you use. At least in these parts you'll actually get more per kw that you sell vs what you pay and on top of that then you know you've got reasonably secure/unlimited power (power grid) source for the property, therefore less likely to be without.

E.

/ Could our small farm go all electric? #32  
We did get off track, sorry about that. I even had to go back and read the original post. You mention streams on your property. How big, and how much drop? Everhard's point about hydro is a good one. Near the end of your original post you mention 140 yards to the house from where you might want to put the solar. Does that mean you'd put the AC inverter there, and run the AC to your house?

I get your idea for running around in the electric UTV for the camp sites, but for farm work I'm still skeptical. With a small tractor you could move dirt, get some pallet forks for moving stuff, and plow snow.

/ Could our small farm go all electric?
We did get off track, sorry about that. I even had to go back and read the original post. You mention streams on your property. How big, and how much drop? Everhard's point about hydro is a good one. Near the end of your original post you mention 140 yards to the house from where you might want to put the solar. Does that mean you'd put the AC inverter there, and run the AC to your house?

I get your idea for running around in the electric UTV for the camp sites, but for farm work I'm still skeptical. With a small tractor you could move dirt, get some pallet forks for moving stuff, and plow snow.

The stream that is close to the field is modest, too small for any but a rather small hydro I think as it now exists. The drop is not severe (no waterfalls) though the stream run at a fair clip. If I had to estimate the drop over 50 foot length I would say 7 foot maybe. There is an old dam that failed (logs skidded over it 50 years ago damaged the overgrowth and the water eventually washed a section away). If I can restore it and run a spillway over the top something like hydro becomes more feasible. The other stream is at the far corner of the property, distant from the field and house and runs through a 50 foot ravine. I've seen some floating hydro generators that look interesting that are simply anchored on each side of the stream. Some of our potential campsites are at the top of the hill and it occurred to me I could run electric up the hill possibly.

The solar in the field was just an idea to provide power to a shipping container(s) where I could store equipment and have a small shop to avoid having to run electric to it from the house which would be at least 140 yards or so. No intention of juice going the other direction. If I did solar at the house I have a south facing sunny roof that would suffice.

Thanks. Yours and others concerns on the viability of electric for farming are welcome and noted, though I will continue to research and stick with the idea for a bit. One option would be to try out the electric UTV for a couple of seasons and go ahead and buy a tractor later if it doesn't work out. Have you had a chance to checkout the video I linked to re the Intimidator?

/ Could our small farm go all electric? #34  
On snow and solar panels.
I work with one of the town councilmen who helped oversee the installation of a good sized solar array for the town. It saved them money as they have no money invested and they are locked into a really good price per kw for the next 5 years (or something like that).
He said that they initially worried about snow on the panels, but they have found that the panels are tilted enough that the snow starts to slide off and as long as there is an inch or two of panel exposed, it warms enough to let the snow slide off, even on a cloudy day.

Aaron Z

Next winter I'll as you pictures of the snow laying on the panels day after day on the PV's across the road from my property .

/ Could our small farm go all electric? #35  
As an option if you're serious about being "off the grid" - you mentioned you have a fair number of streams/rivers on the property? Any large enough (doesn't have to be that large) to run a generator? Water as a source of power is great given it's constant and not effected (as much!) by weather. The other consideration is often it's more financially logical to sell the electricity back to the grid and pay for what you use. At least in these parts you'll actually get more per kw that you sell vs what you pay and on top of that then you know you've got reasonably secure/unlimited power (power grid) source for the property, therefore less likely to be without.

E.

Some governments collect income tax on the net metering power "sold" to the utility . There goes any chance of your net metering ever breaking even.

/ Could our small farm go all electric? #36  
The stream that is close to the field is modest, too small for any but a rather small hydro I think as it now exists. The drop is not severe (no waterfalls) though the stream run at a fair clip. If I had to estimate the drop over 50 foot length I would say 7 foot maybe. There is an old dam that failed (logs skidded over it 50 years ago damaged the overgrowth and the water eventually washed a section away). If I can restore it and run a spillway over the top something like hydro becomes more feasible. The other stream is at the far corner of the property, distant from the field and house and runs through a 50 foot ravine. I've seen some floating hydro generators that look interesting that are simply anchored on each side of the stream. Some of our potential campsites are at the top of the hill and it occurred to me I could run electric up the hill possibly.

The solar in the field was just an idea to provide power to a shipping container(s) where I could store equipment and have a small shop to avoid having to run electric to it from the house which would be at least 140 yards or so. No intention of juice going the other direction. If I did solar at the house I have a south facing sunny roof that would suffice.

Thanks. Yours and others concerns on the viability of electric for farming are welcome and noted, though I will continue to research and stick with the idea for a bit. One option would be to try out the electric UTV for a couple of seasons and go ahead and buy a tractor later if it doesn't work out. Have you had a chance to checkout the video I linked to re the Intimidator?

140yards is close enough to run #8 or #10 wiring from the house to the sheds on a 15 or 20amp two pole breaker .

/ Could our small farm go all electric? #37  
Building dams impedes fish migration and spawning. A bridge let alone a dam will bring the MNR and local conservation Authority screaming to the door here in minutes or hours at most.

Last edited:
   / Could our small farm go all electric? #38  
If you're still interested in EV discussion as opposed to philosophy and politics :rolleyes:, I've watched PART of the Intimidator video. It really looks awesome. Like the Polaris EV on steroids. Even so, if you plan to do much ground-engaging work of more than an acre or two, I don't know if an EV would handle that well. Did he say anywhere in that how much the Intimidator COST? I'm guessing it's near $20k or over.

If you're still interested in EV discussion as opposed to philosophy and politics :rolleyes:, I've watched PART of the Intimidator video. It really looks awesome. Like the Polaris EV on steroids. Even so, if you plan to do much ground-engaging work of more than an acre or two, I don't know if an EV would handle that well. Did he say anywhere in that how much the Intimidator COST? I'm guessing it's near $20k or over.
I think it is 12k before add-ons like winch, etc.

Building dams impedes fish migration and spawning. A dam will bring the MNR and local conservation Authority screaming to the door here in minutes or hours at most.

Stream is too small for any fish (there is a nice trout stream about a mile away). Concrete part of dam is still there, only the stream found a way around it over the years. Old aerial photos show it containing water. The total depth and volume fall well under the restrictions on dams that require regular inspections, reports and such.

That said, your point is well taken and I would not repair/improve the dam until I was clear that the State DEC wouldn't make a squawk.