Cost of deep wells ???

/ Cost of deep wells ??? #1  

westcliffe01

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4500DT, B200 backhoe
My wife was looking at a piece of land in CO. So I sent the nearest well driller an email asking about wells in the area and the response was one should bargain on 600-850 ft and an all up cost from $70-100k. Drilling and casing $80/foot. Anyone's first thoughts on that news ???

Back in 2012 I met with a well driller in a different county where pretty much all drilling is through hard rock in the mountains and the estimate was for 500ft at a price of about $26k. Something has become a lot more expensive in 10 years and it was not gas, thats for sure...

/ Cost of deep wells ??? #2  
It differs greatly from place to place, even within the same city. It seems the drillers know what areas are more difficult. Around here 650 feet is $7-10k probably 30% more now

/ Cost of deep wells ??? #4  
So glad we are blessed with mountain spring water and gravity...
Water is about 58* and regularly tests better than the neighbors drilled well...have to use a pressure regulator to lower the pressure...!

Drilled wells here (lower Appalachia) with lots of granite is about $15/foot...depth really depends on where (elev. wise) on a mountain the home site is...

/ Cost of deep wells ??? #5  
Not far off the prices here for a well that deep. One nearby was 700', for around $100k.

It is very very site dependent, and especially geology and hydrologically dependent. E.g. gabbro vs sand, accessible aquifer vs rock fractures for water. No guarantees.

All the best,

Peter

/ Cost of deep wells ???
more than 90% of lots are undeveloped. Very few lots where the buyer has invested in a well prior to building.

/ Cost of deep wells ???
It differs greatly from place to place, even within the same city. It seems the drillers know what areas are more difficult. Around here 650 feet is $7-10k probably 30% more now
Thats $14.28 a foot... Vs $80 a foot ?

/ Cost of deep wells ??? #8  
And here in the east I suffer with about 35 gallons/sq ft falling annually :)

/ Cost of deep wells ??? #9  
Our last well was drilled at 500' and it cost us $25K. That was 10 years ago....

The prices can really vary though, we had prices / bids as high as $50K.

/ Cost of deep wells ??? #10  
The worst part is they really don't know how far down they will go before hitting water, so the only way that they can even give a ballpark price is based on depth of nearby wells. In this state all wells are entered into a database so that you can get that information. I'm not sure if that's the case where you are.