Correct my thinking...

/ Correct my thinking... #11  
Tractor prices are high this summer, both new and used.

Demand trails off during mid-summer and continues to decline until the grass greens up in the spring.

The supply chain hopefully will be in better shape by late October.

There is a reasonable chance net prices will be lower November-December-January-February-March.

/ Correct my thinking...
Thanks everyone. I was convinced, I just needed some reassurance.
As far as my handle... (Username)
LostMy65 was the username I came up with for a classic truck forum I joined 11 years ago. I had a 65 Chevy pickup truck that I owned in the 12th grade back in 1983. I sold it in 87 and never looked back. Then in 2010 I wanted a classic truck to restore and started wondering what ever happened to it - Lost My 65. Found it in 2012 and bought it back.

/ Correct my thinking... #13  
The 20%-25% he quotes is for trade in to the dealer. Private sales take less of a hit.

No warranty and no dealer financing concomitant with a private sale.
I think depreciation of 20% should be expected in a private sale.

Maybe 1/5 used tractor shoppers can come up with $16,000 CASH. That decreases demand by 80%.

/ Correct my thinking...
I have saved up at least $8000 by doing side jobs. So, if I have to cut and run and lose all of it, I won't feel like I lost "Family" money.

/ Correct my thinking... #15  
I went through the same dilemma for about 18 months before deciding that the true Return On Investment ends up being that you have the tractor there when you need it. Have a few extra hours in the day, run the tractor and finish some chores.
Now it comes down to the six month weight time before I can take delivery.

/ Correct my thinking... #16  
Have you consider wait time for rental,also if the weather should turn sour unable to do task comparing to have your tractor doing task when you wish.

/ Correct my thinking... #17  
Owning a tractor costs more than the purchase price. Maintenance and insurance and tires and attachments and stuff.

The key to me is that you can get what you need (what you have been renting) for the $20000.

If you can, I agree that you should buy.

I also agree that you won’t take much of a haircut when and if you are forced to sell. As long as you can have some patience when you sell v. needing to sell in a day.

Good luck and despite the financial analysis, have fun!!!

MoKelly

/ Correct my thinking...
Owning a tractor costs more than the purchase price. Maintenance and insurance and tires and attachments and stuff.

The key to me is that you can get what you need (what you have been renting) for the $20000.

If you can, I agree that you should buy.

I also agree that you won’t take much of a haircut when and if you are forced to sell. As long as you can have some patience when you sell v. needing to sell in a day.

Good luck and despite the financial analysis, have fun!!!

MoKelly
That's a good point. I can pick up and drop off a rental without the time of maintaining my own.

/ Correct my thinking... #19  
That's a good point. I can pick up and drop off a rental without the time of maintaining my own.
I just wish I had kept track of every time I have needed a tractor for 20-30 minutes.
Would have been hundreds of rentals.

/ Correct my thinking... #20  
I don't know what your needs are for a tractor but for me renting would never be an option. Things happen, you need it now, you want to do this now but can't, you don't do things you could do if the tractor was right there and available, and on and on. For me, and I am guessing for many here, having a tractor ready right when you want it is worth the purchase.