Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #111  
It wasn't just a "black" man's war. Don't even know why you went there.
Trad:
I "went there" because based on the neighborhood, almost certainly that 19 year old Marine was black.
because that's how the war was known, during the later years of the war.
and because
By the following year, Black soldiers made up 16.3% of those drafted and 23% of Vietnam combat troops, despite accounting for only roughly 11% of the civilian population. These new draftees often had little understanding of the war's purpose and were increasingly disenchanted by their role in it. Jun 12, 2020

Black Vietnam Veterans on Injustices They Faced: Da 5 Bloods

https://time.com

Failure to label a pot a pot, does not change what it is. Failing to recognize what is was, does a dis-service to our history and is an injustice to those blacks who made up that 23% of combat troops.

Black Vietnam Veterans on Injustices They Faced: Da 5 Bloods​

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #112  
Trad:
I "went there" because based on the neighborhood, almost certainly that 19 year old Marine was black.
because that's how the war was known, during the later years of the war.
and because
By the following year, Black soldiers made up 16.3% of those drafted and 23% of Vietnam combat troops, despite accounting for only roughly 11% of the civilian population. These new draftees often had little understanding of the war's purpose and were increasingly disenchanted by their role in it. Jun 12, 2020

Black Vietnam Veterans on Injustices They Faced: Da 5 Bloods

https://time.com

Failure to label a pot a pot, does not change what it is. Failing to recognize what is was, does a dis-service to our history and is an injustice to those blacks who made up that 23% of combat troops.

Black Vietnam Veterans on Injustices They Faced: Da 5 Bloods​

The flip side of the statistics you provided is that 77% of those who served were not black, but you referred to it as the black man's war. That strikes me as a disservice to the vast percentage of those who served.

If one collected similar statistics on the family income of those who were drafted vs. those who received a deferment, I strongly suspect there would be an even stronger correlation that lower income people were more likely to get drafted. I suspect that would be closer to the root cause.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #113  
The flip side of the statistics you provided is that 77% of those who served were not black, but you referred to it as the black man's war. That strikes me as a disservice to the vast percentage of those who served.

If one collected similar statistics on the family income of those who were drafted vs. those who received a deferment, I strongly suspect there would be an even stronger correlation that lower income people were more likely to get drafted. I suspect that would be closer to the root cause.
I am sure you are right about family income. That provided a way to stay in college and avoid the draft. Yes also, to the 77% who were not black. But I did say, and do remember, it was known as the Black Man's War. While 77% were not black, as the statistics show, 11% of the general population was black while blacks made up 23% of the combat troops.
Some percentage of that ratio, had to do with education (see family income). The more complex tasks a person could do, the less likely to become cannon fodder.
You and tradosaurus seem to take issue that I called it the Black Man's War. Do you think that is a label I conjured ? It's not. That's how it was known. Not by everybody. Not every time. But still, to deny the existence of the name is to deny history.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #114  
Not in the woods, but I used to work with a girl who found a shoe on the beach at Lake Michigan back in the early 70s. There was a human foot in it.
Feet in shoes wash up on the coast here every once in a while. The marine biologists say it's because shoes are too tough to eat. Sea critters take care of a body pretty easily, except for the parts that are protected. The skeleton is down there somewhere, though probably knocked apart by waves and currents.

This is a time lapse of a pig carcass 300m down, where water temp is about 39 degrees. It's caged to keep the larger predators away, but even then it is down to a skeleton in a week.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #115  
I am sure you are right about family income. That provided a way to stay in college and avoid the draft. Yes also, to the 77% who were not black. But I did say, and do remember, it was known as the Black Man's War. While 77% were not black, as the statistics show, 11% of the general population was black while blacks made up 23% of the combat troops.
Some percentage of that ratio, had to do with education (see family income). The more complex tasks a person could do, the less likely to become cannon fodder.
You and tradosaurus seem to take issue that I called it the Black Man's War. Do you think that is a label I conjured ? It's not. That's how it was known. Not by everybody. Not every time. But still, to deny the existence of the name is to deny history.
If you would have said an "immoral war" I would have agreed with you.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #116  
I disagree with the term, regardless of who created it. I don't consider that to be denying history.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #117  
Feet in shoes wash up on the coast here every once in a while. The marine biologists say it's because shoes are too tough to eat. Sea critters take care of a body pretty easily, except for the parts that are protected. The skeleton is down there somewhere, though probably knocked apart by waves and currents.

This is a time lapse of a pig carcass 300m down, where water temp is about 39 degrees. It's caged to keep the larger predators away, but even then it is down to a skeleton in a week.

Yeah, I used to read about the feet washing up in the PNW.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #118  

I served through that war albeit in the AF and not in that part of the world. Knew several people who were there. I had never heard that "black man's war" before your post. 6% above national averages is not a very big deviation.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #119  
I served through that war albeit in the AF and not in that part of the world. Knew several people who were there. I had never heard that "black man's war" before your post. 6% above national averages is not a very big deviation.
But how else can one assuage one's white guilt by using that term? ;)

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #120  
While remodeling a room in my old house I found a shelf over the closet door that had been paneled over. On the shelf was an old doll. I gave it to the woman that grew up there, she said her aunt gave it to her. Also had a box with Military code of conduct book, book on artillery, a couple of translation books for I think French, and Italian, and in the bottom was a banner about 2 1/2' x 5' swastika.
The man I bought from had already passed, his wife had alzhimers pretty bad. So I talked with two of his brothers who were still alive- neither of them knew anything, or that it even existed. They both said their brother never spoke of the war. I still have it and would love to know the story behind it.

David