Contemplating a box blade

/ Contemplating a box blade #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
I'm thinking about getting a box blade to level out soil.

Anyone have/used the TSC ones?

Otherwise, what's good?

/ Contemplating a box blade #3  
Ralph, You've been a member, and presumably a tractor owner, for a long time. So I think you'll know all this stuff, but for other readers.

1. Your tractor is 25 hp. Maximum width of box blade is likely 48". Check your owner's manual to confirm my suggestion. My tractor is 32 hp, and many times, I can only pull 60" when in 4WD.
2. Weight is your advantage with a box blade. It would be nice to know the type of steel used in manufacture, but as consumers, we're not likely to be provided that information.
3. The back of the box has two blades, one curls forward, the other curls backward. That backward blade is NOT for pushing gravel, dirt, etc. By adjusting the top link, this is used to smooth the earth's surface (or gravel), after you've worked it, and while pulling the box blade forward.

/ Contemplating a box blade #4  
That backward blade is NOT for pushing gravel, dirt, etc. By adjusting the top link, this is used to smooth the earth's surface (or gravel), after you've worked it, and while pulling the box blade forward.
I'd respectfully disagree with that. The back can be handy for pushing dirt back into a swale from a pile you create with the box. I also use the back to move snow so I am working while backing up to take my next pass in a large area like a cul-de-sac.

/ Contemplating a box blade #6  
True utility/capability of a box blade only happens if you can easily adjust the top link on the fly. On a smaller tractor you may be able to reach it from the seat, but it will still be tedious. On a bigger tractor, you'll need a hydraulic top link. If you don't have the ability to easily adjust the top link on the fly, then you have a very limited range of capability. Many people never discover the power of the box blade because of that.

/ Contemplating a box blade #7  
If you don't have the ability to easily adjust the top link on the fly, then you have a very limited range of capability. Many people never discover the power of the box blade because of that.
I have discovered the power of tilting the 4' box blade on the front where it is easier to see it:
PC190011.JPG
PC250011.JPG

And mounted turned around for float mode in reverse:
P8290007.JPG
P8290012.JPG

View from the seat:
P8290010.JPG

The pile is smaller now:
P8290020.JPG

Last edited:
   / Contemplating a box blade #8  
I have a 60” for my 1720 Ford 28 hp which it handles nicely.
I installed two gauge wheels 24” behind the blade which makes it much easier to level high/low spots.
I pull and push with it and have bent the 3pt frame on the box blade When useing it to snag rocks while going backwards. Adding steel to the hitch resolved that problem.
Very handy tool that I improved with gauge wheels and additional steel in 3pt frame work.
90cummins

/ Contemplating a box blade #9  
True utility/capability of a box blade only happens if you can easily adjust the top link on the fly.
True that. Before I had my driveway paved I seriously considered adding a hydraulic side link as well so I could tip the box to one side to get the proper grade.

/ Contemplating a box blade #10  
I'm thinking about getting a box blade to level out soil.

Anyone have/used the TSC ones?

Otherwise, what's good?
I purchased a heavy duty Kioti made by woods 7ft. more than happy with it.

Attachments

• IMG_1722.jpg
    IMG_1722.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 181