Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #41  
Posted by a Non-John Deere owner... we know the type and the rhetoric.

Very biased and non-educated diatribe. IMO
Surely that kind of comment just shows you to be closed minded and not at all curious. We don't all like what we read, but we might learn from it. I've never had an issue with my past JD equipment but it sure wouldn't stop me wanting to know how more and how to make the equipment even better and more consumer friendly.

If you think it's 'very biased' please explain how, and help us all learn with evidence based information.

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #42  
Surely that kind of comment just shows you to be closed minded and not at all curious. We don't all like what we read, but we might learn from it. I've never had an issue with my past JD equipment but it sure wouldn't stop me wanting to know how more and how to make the equipment even better and more consumer friendly.

If you think it's 'very biased' please explain how, and help us all learn with evidence based information.
Here's one quick example:
"John Deere also received a Worst in Show from Paul Roberts, founder of securerepairs.org. He chose industrial equipment maker John Deere's fully autonomous 8R tractor, not because of known vulnerabilities but because of the way the company engages with the security community and the inevitability of bugs in the software governing such a complicated machine."

Deere has not put a fully autonomous tractor in production at this time. It is highly unlikely that Mr. Roberts or anyone else not employed by Deere has firsthand knowledge of what "inevitable bugs" the software has. Further, how Deere 'engages with the security community' whoever they actually are, is not accurately described or documented. This machine is still in the development stage and I suspect Deere is extremely cautious about its custody of emerging and potentially proprietary technology.
As previously stated Deere is no better or worse than any other equipment manufacturer concerning the right to repair issue. They are simply the big fish in the pond.
The quote is misleading in that the average reader is allowed to believe the 8R autonomous tractor is running wild and unchecked across Americas farmland. It is short on fact and very long on anti Deere bias.

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #43  
It may seem unnatural to the small-scale farmer. But larger businesses usually run on OPM - Other People's Money. Rented money is just another piece of 'equipment' in the stable of operating assets. This allows a far larger operation compared to only the owners' savings invested for operating capital.
This, and that goes for individuals too. So many hold on to the antiquated idea that debt is bad, and it can be when not used properly, but assuming you're someone who makes responsible financial decisions then carrying debt is just another way to make money. That goes triple for right now when you can get a secured loan for something like 3%. That's almost free money just sitting there for the taking. Big business and the wealthy know this which is why they all carry debt even when they have way more than enough money to pay cash.

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #44  
What I really want to know is do the larger family farms operate debt free at all? I mean $800k for a tractor here, $200k for an implement there….do they actually make that much farming to offset these super high costs for equipment?
Has to be some serious gov subsidies…

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #45  
Has to be some serious gov subsidies…
Most farmers will tell you they don't want the government in their business. Those that do want the government in their business aren't in farming to be an independent business owner, they are in farming to milk the system. Those are in a very small percentage.

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #46  
And now the facts...

How much subsidy does the US give to farmers?

Direct government aid, accounting for 39% of net farm income, rose to a record $46.5 billion from $22.4 billion last year. … Yes, you read that right. This year, farmers (on net) will derive almost 40 percent of their income directly from the U.S. government. Forty percent.Dec 18, 2020

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #48  
Posted by a Non-John Deere owner... we know the type and the rhetoric.

Very biased and non-educated diatribe. IMO
In Feb of 2021 John Deere just got its hands slapped for not living up to the terms of a right to repair agreement signed in 2018.
Many many court challenges on many different manufacturers making everything from cell phones/laptops tractors to inkjet cartridges for making it hard/impossible or illegal to fix your own machine. Hard impossible and illegal even after the warranty period is over
IMHO ....There is something to this.....as you know new teck becomes old teck fast. Old teck that gets repaired ,rather than replaced with dealer/manufacturer parts, lowers cost to owners even as it lengthens the life span of the equipment. It also employs people. People that generally live near to you and not far like China
Repairs on old teck past the manufacturers warranty period should neither be harder or made impossible by manufacturer design/engineering. Nor should it be illegal to fix anything on a machine you have bought.
If it is sitting in your yard working in your operations and you are responsible for making payments ,or have paid for it in full. Just ask yourself who owns this thing? You?.... or the manufacturer?
Food for thought

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #49  
What I really want to know is do the larger family farms operate debt free at all? I mean $800k for a tractor here, $200k for an implement there….do they actually make that much farming to offset these super high costs for equipment?
I read a story from marketwatch.com that claimed 40% of farm receipts come in the form of subsidy. So the short answer to your question seems to be..... no

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #50  
And now the facts...

How much subsidy does the US give to farmers?

Direct government aid, accounting for 39% of net farm income, rose to a record $46.5 billion from $22.4 billion last year. … Yes, you read that right. This year, farmers (on net) will derive almost 40 percent of their income directly from the U.S. government. Forty percent.Dec 18, 2020
And you’d whine even louder if those subsidies didn’t exist.
Your milk, food, gas and quite a few hundred other items you need in your gated community would cost more.

46 billion isn’t even a rounding error in the American fiscal budget