Buying Advice Considering a Ford 2000 Super Dexta

/ Considering a Ford 2000 Super Dexta #1  

flassiter

Tractor
None
I am considering purchasing a Ford 2000 Super Dexta. I was originally looking for a MF 135 but I cannot find anything in my price range of $3000. I then started looking for a MF 35 but I want live power and and a diesel engine and those seem to only come in a MF 35 Deluxe. This Ford seems to have everything that I want but I'm worried about parts and reliability. Obviously this is an old tractor, approximately early 1960s. Most newer Fords in my price range are gas and I'd rather go with diesel. I want live power and a live lift.

The seller claims this has a 3 cylinder Perkins diesel similar to the MF 35. The tires are decent with the exception of 1 of the front tires. The seller bought the tractor from another individual and fixed any leaks. The tractor fires right up and doesn't smoke at all. It runs and operates fine though the steering has a little play in it. There is very little rust on the machine, but the paint is badly faded. The seller claims it was stored in a barn but I'm not sure how much he'd know since he's reselling the machine. So my questions...

1. How reliable are these tractors?
2. Are parts readily available and if so should they continue to be available in the future?
3. I've operated a fair share of earth moving equipment, but I'm not much of a mechanic. How difficult is it to work on these tractors?
4. Is $3000 a decent price for this machine?
5. Would I be able to find a newer Ford tractor (perhaps a 2000 or 3000) in my price range if I continue looking?

This is my first tractor and I really appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks!

/ Considering a Ford 2000 Super Dexta #2  
I own 2 dextas and 1 super dexta. the super is slightly larger bore and more hp.maybe 35.they are hard working rock solid machines made in england.If it will start easy say above 60 degrese you have found a good one.there is suposed to be a coil and a fuel injection on the bottom of the intake for colder weather.parts are availible and are easy to work on.It is a clumsey tractor to steer and operate.the super has a differentchial lock.it is a 3 speed with high and low range.low range 1 is a pull the house down creeper gear. $3000.00 is a little high because it is not a well known machine.it is very simular to the massey.

/ Considering a Ford 2000 Super Dexta #3  
post a pic to show us if it really is a dexta.. or fords joke at badging 2000 as dexta ...

/ Considering a Ford 2000 Super Dexta #4  
Yesterdays tractors have the most parts you may need.I know the 2 stage clutch and 4 wheels and tires are the same as american ford. if it has a 2 blade fan you mate it with another 2 blade fan to make it to a 4 blade.this made a big difference.also with some trimming a massey will fit. a massey fuel pump will and spin on oil filter adapter will work.

/ Considering a Ford 2000 Super Dexta
post a pic to show us if it really is a dexta.. or fords joke at badging 2000 as dexta ...

Here is a picture of the front of the tractor. Is this a real Super Dexta?

5N85L75G53M13Fc3Hfc9o88097f4601311215.jpg

/ Considering a Ford 2000 Super Dexta
I own 2 dextas and 1 super dexta. the super is slightly larger bore and more hp.maybe 35.they are hard working rock solid machines made in england.If it will start easy say above 60 degrese you have found a good one.there is suposed to be a coil and a fuel injection on the bottom of the intake for colder weather.parts are availible and are easy to work on.It is a clumsey tractor to steer and operate.the super has a differentchial lock.it is a 3 speed with high and low range.low range 1 is a pull the house down creeper gear. $3000.00 is a little high because it is not a well known machine.it is very simular to the massey.

This is all great information. Thank you very much. He is actually asking $3250 but he said he'd take $3000. I'm thinking of offering $2500 and seeing if he'll budge.

/ Considering a Ford 2000 Super Dexta #8  
deffinately a limey

/ Considering a Ford 2000 Super Dexta #9  
They all have slop in the steering.If just a inch eather way consider it normal .Check the 3 point hitch by lifing it by hand and checking all the joints .Make sure the two stage clutch stops the pto .From a stop press the locking diferentional behind your right heel then slowly move forward in 1st gear, the pedal should drop down and lock both rear wheels.Let up and slow down and it disconects. I run a 6ft. bush hog on all 3 dextas. The low gear is great for pulling wire or water pipe with a subsoiler. WELCOME TO MY LIFE IT HAS BEEN FUN!!!

/ Considering a Ford 2000 Super Dexta #10  
please read private message