Comparing Warranties

/ Comparing Warranties #11  
That's exactly why to go over the warranty line by line with the dealer. But frankly if Yanmar covers internals then that would be fine. with me. It's still a pretty good warranty & I can handle most external things myself.

We found that out about "internal vs external" during the recent flooding here. Our place was devastated, but we had flood insurance. BUT......

FEMA's Flood Insurance only covers things that are inside the outside paint on the house. We found out the hard way that means just what it says: FEMA flood insurance does NOT cover anything that sticks out past the paint on the outside of the house. For example, the insurance doesn't cover the porch, rails, deck, trim, doors, windows, shutters, hose bibs, soffets, gutters, electrical service & outlets, water or sewer lines...... or any part of the roof which overhangs the outside walls.
rScotty

I'd paint EVERYTHING.

/ Comparing Warranties
I'd paint EVERYTHING.

Wish I'd thought of that!
Floods do have a funny side. We had a sail boat bust through the living room window and get stuck there.

/ Comparing Warranties #13  
Hyundai carved out their share of the North American market by offering low price vehicles with 100K mile warranties, then over time increased the quality and selection of vehicles. Now it’s hard to tell the difference between a Hyundai and a Honda.

/ Comparing Warranties #14  
That's exactly why to go over the warranty line by line with the dealer. But frankly if Yanmar covers internals then that would be fine. with me. It's still a pretty good warranty & I can handle most external things myself.

We found that out about "internal vs external" during the recent flooding here. Our place was devastated, but we had flood insurance. BUT......

FEMA's Flood Insurance only covers things that are inside the outside paint on the house. We found out the hard way that means just what it says: FEMA flood insurance does NOT cover anything that sticks out past the paint on the outside of the house. For example, the insurance doesn't cover the porch, rails, deck, trim, doors, windows, shutters, hose bibs, soffets, gutters, electrical service & outlets, water or sewer lines...... or any part of the roof which overhangs the outside walls.
rScotty

Agree totally and like I said if and whatever factory warranty comes with something fine by me, eventhough I am paying for it one way or another in the cost. Mainly was getting at these big year and miles/hours of extended warranties that you pay extra for, more times than not they arent what they seem

/ Comparing Warranties #15  
Wish I'd thought of that!
Floods do have a funny side. We had a sail boat bust through the living room window and get stuck there.

Wouldnt anything on the outside of the house be covered by regular homeowners. Typically I know flood is everything inside.

/ Comparing Warranties
Wouldnt anything on the outside of the house be covered by regular homeowners. Typically I know flood is everything inside.

Homeowners covers most things, but not flood damage. That is specically exempted and has been for decades. Maybe they used to, but no more. The losses were just too high for a private company to handle.

Many private insurance companies (statefarm etc.) will sell you flood insurance in addition to homeowners if you want it, but the insurance policy itself that they all offer is the same government backed (FEMA) insurance progra. As far as I know, it is exactly the same policy no matter who you buy it from. No competition.....at least I am not aware of any private companies that still sell private home flood insurance.

Shucks, I wish we hadn't learned so much about floods and flood insurance. After the flood here it seemed there was a comunity meeting twice a week for years on the subject. It's a depressing area of insurance that blends a lot of federal statutes, big financial money lenders, insurance companies, and politicians.
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Comparing Warranties #17  
Homeowners covers most things, but not flood damage. That is specically exempted and has been for decades. Maybe they used to, but no more. The losses were just too high for a private company to handle.

Many private insurance companies (statefarm etc.) will sell you flood insurance in addition to homeowners if you want it, but the insurance policy itself that they all offer is the same government backed (FEMA) insurance progra. As far as I know, it is exactly the same policy no matter who you buy it from. No competition.....at least I am not aware of any private companies that still sell private home flood insurance.

Shucks, I wish we hadn't learned so much about floods and flood insurance. After the flood here it seemed there was a comunity meeting twice a week for years on the subject. It's a depressing area of insurance that blends a lot of federal statutes, big financial money lenders, insurance companies, and politicians.
rScotty

Yeah raw deal. We are dealing with major flooding along the St lawrence river right now in update NY. Feel bad for the people. Flooding just causes so much damage, I think its a hard one for any entity to financially support.